Old 06-06-2006   #1
I sell and manage stuff
Poudre questions

First of all, what are the difficulty differences btwn the Filter Plant run and Bridges?

Exactly where are the put in/take out points for Bridges and Filter?

Thanks Guys

Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #2
Da Fort, Colorado
Bridges is a significant step up from Filter Plant. Filter Plant is a great beginner run, easy but with enough to challenge a beginner. Bridges, especially at this flow, could be too much for a beginner. You need some pretty good eddy catching and general paddling skills. There are some decent size waves and holes. There is just a lot more to get into problems on.

Filter Plant take out is at picnic rock, first parking lot on the left once you get in the canyon. Put in is about 3 miles up with parking on both sides. Bridges take-out is about .5 miles up from the next diversion dam you can see from the road upstream from Filter Plant, at the apex of a sharp left corner. Put in is about two miles further up at a right bend, just below pineview falls.

bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Looks like someone scooped me while I was writing this, but here's another similar view:

Bridges is definitely a notch more difficult than Filter Plant.

Bridges is a solid III (III+?) if you put in below Pine View and take out at the BTO (Bridges take out), which is about a third to a half mile above the nasty dam you'll see as you drive up. Including Pine View would kick it up to a IV.

Filter Plant is pretty much a class II, with the put in being either Gateway Park (which has a parking fee) or in the roadside parking area just downstream. The takeout is Picnic Rock. I've seen Mad Dog rapid, which is roughly halfway through the run, rated as a III, but I think most would agree that's a stretch. It's a fairly short, straightforward rapid compared to what you find on Bridges.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #4
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
water level

These are great descriptions, but I just wanted to add one more thing.
Keep in mind that the water level can change things a LOT on these runs. A few of us ran filter plant last night after work. It is a lot of fun over four feet, but it's a completely different run than at 3ft. I think it was around 4.25 or so last night (looking at the rock at pineview). The rapid is easy at this level, but the rest of the run was a little more intresting than usual. I had a combat roll getting knocked over by a weird lateral. The waves are pretty darn big (but a blast!).
Bridges looks like it could be a little intimidating (OK a lot) if you don't have great boat control. We didn't run it, so I can't be sure, but it looks like it is moving so fast that if you get into trouble it could get ugly I recommend scouting all of the runs up there before deciding.
Have a great time and be safe!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I think most people would probably give lower mishawaka a go before the Bridges... at least that is the progression I took.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #6
bridges vs lower mish

i must say that at these levels (~ 4 ft) bridges is easier than lower mish. it's mostly just wave trains. the only real hole is the one at redhouse which you can really just paddle hard thru. lower mish is a lot more read and run and IMO requires more river reading experience. plus i recall several bigger holes on lower mish than on bridges.
neither is a beginner run at these levels, but i would step up to bridges before lower mish. even if you're feeling real solid on filter plant it will still be a significant step up.
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #7
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
No way anything on filter plant is class III, and bridges is definitely easier than mish. True though that fliter to bridges is a big jump for beginning boaters.

conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote