Old 09-11-2010   #11
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by klund View Post
Anyone see the rock today, sat 9/11? wondering if its holding above a foot.
I heard from folks up there today that it was at 1ft

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Maybe a little above 1'. I think it dropped a little while we were on it. We could see airplane rock/boof a little more after the second lap. Still a boof there though - even if it was down to 1', but i think it was maybe closer to 1.2.

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #13
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
1.1 tops got a good look today, ran lower half of big south. I probably would want a little bit less water next time. The whole floating part of the trip was lame.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #14
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey edna...I gotta have the record on upper at 30 cfs!! Thats when I took a newb down so have fun.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #15
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Spencer, did you just say LESS water? Was that inbetween stuff getting a little too pushy for you?

I can see how with less water, you wouldn't need to have a paddle in one hand - you could just use rocks 100% of the time.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #16
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ya I have really been wanting to work on my gorilla paddling. Paddles are dated.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #17
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Is that tubular balls in Leifs pic? At low low, low water?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #18
Mad Scientist/Creeker
If that is Lower Tubular... which it does appear to be that is some ridiculous shit. Possibly the lowest water descent ever.. or not possibly, probably. Wait, isn't that my boat! Leif, did you know that it was 50cfs before scarring Spencer forever???

He texted me that he didn't want to do the Big South ever again!!! His exact words were F$#$ that. That's like taking the Lords name in vein around these parts. I thought it was 80cfs and I was like oh ya, that must have sucked but if you run DT 3 times it's at least almost worth it, but now I come to see that it was 50cfs and now I understand. That is just wrong. You know there is a convenient hiking trail along the river there on river right where you can walk up and check out the beautiful canyon when the river is... umm NOT RUNNING! I know hiking, it's not really a sport but neither is boat torture.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #19
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
That was not Tubular Balls, that was that drop in the middle of the primetime gorge, which has sort of three channels, with wood in the left channel. Normally I think people boof center. It's near the end of the gorge. Tubular balls was hilarious. The normal line (boof then pivot and escape right) was up at shoulder or head height. We boofed and squeezed out between the rocks straight ahead. It's a whole different river! I'll put together a blog post as soon as I have time.

Spencer's knuckles will heal, and he had a great time. A GREAT TIME. I know I had a blast. Just makes you appreciate those high water runs even more. Isn't that right, Spencer? You better agree, or I'll guide you down some of my other low water favorites. Ever run the SSV narrows?

This might not have even been the low water record. When Natalie and I first did BS back in 07 or so, the day we showed up they turned the long draw release down to 20 cfs. (I don't want to ever hear anyone else complain about how bony weird creek is.) However, there was more water coming in from side streams, so it's hard to tell which was lower. Probably this one.

leif is online now   Reply With Quote