Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-21-2007   #1
Ft Collins, Colorado
Poudre: Glade Res. hearing Tues 22 May, Ft Collins

Glade Reservoir is an important issue that should interest all northern Colorado boaters - please show your support to oppose the dam tomorrow (Tuesday) in Ft Collins. More details below

Dear Friends;

For nearly a century and half, the Cache la Poudre River has been dammed and diverted. Nearly 90% of its water pools behind dams or is diverted out of the river for agriculture, municipal, and industrial uses. At its junction with the South Platte River, the river has become a depleted, stinking ditch for most of the year.

A small amount of the riverís water is unallocated. It runs freely and manages to peak every three years or so, and these periodic, minor peaking flows are essential for maintaining ecosystem health and improving water quality.

A large new dam has been proposed to impound this last remaining unallocated water in the river, the proposed Glade Reservoir, part of the Northern Integrated Supply Project (NISP).

The irony is that new dams arenít actually needed in our region. Northern Colorado communities, industry, and agriculture can meet their needs for water for drought protection and growth by conserving existing water resources and utilizing them at maximum efficiency.

This coming Tuesday evening at City Hall, May 22nd, the Fort Collins City Council will be hearing two presentations on NISP - one from the projects proponents, the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, and one from the projects opponents, the Save The Poudre Coalition. Members of the Save The Poudre coalition will present their case for restoring and maintaining the health of the river. Please come hear the presentation and speak with your council representatives after the meeting.

The work session is Tuesday, May 22, 6:00pm at the Ft Collins City Hall, 300 W. Laporte Ave.

For further information, go to SaveThePoudre.org - Don't Flatline the Poudre! or contact Mark Easter (measter@frii.com), Gary Wockner (garywockner@comcast.net) or Becky Long (becky@cecenviro.org).

Thank you for your interest.

Mark Easter
Sierra Club Poudre Canyon Group

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Good to know. I plan on being there to let my voice be heard at every oppertunity. Looks like EIS will be out soon, with public input/ comment period after that as well. Lets get our 2 cents in now..and later!!
Thanks for the heads-up.

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #3
In addition to attending the meeting on Tuesday, what are some other ways I can voice my opposition to Glade Reservoir? I often find myself "too busy" to get involved with this type of thing, but feel this issue is very important and want to change my evil ways.

Thanks for the help.

pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
bump to top
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #5
shelbdad is offline   Reply With Quote