Old 06-24-2006   #1
Poudre Drowning

Does anyone know anything about the drowning on the Poudre, Thanks Dave Zader

dzader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #2
Female kayaker fatality. Likely somewhere near Devil's Staircase on Lower Mish. Few details have been released.

So so sorry to hear.

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #3
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

ARIMER COUNTY - The Larimer County Sheriff's Office says the woman's kayak overturned on the Poudre River, along Highway 14, near Fort Collins.

The name of the 48-year-old woman is not being released.

Shyler King, a rookie rafting instructor helped save the woman.

"Apparently she re-circulated too many times," says King, "she got in a hole or something and it kept spinning her around and around."

Emergency workers say the woman was in the water for about two minutes and floated down the river, approximately four-tenths of a mile, before being pulled out by people in the area.

King's raft was passing by, he says he saw people on shore performing CPR, they asked for help.

King and another rafter, a paramedic on vacation from Austin, Texas, tried to revive the woman.

"She was pulseless," says King, "she wasn't breathing at all, her lips were blue, she was very pale. Luckily, we got some color back, I hope she's okay."

The 48-year-old was flown to Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, where she's listed in critical condition Saturday.

Investigators say her name will not be released until her family is notified.

--Props to all involved. Sounds like a pretty heroic effort.. Hopfeully she recovers well.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #4
My mistake, and I'm very sorry. The information I got from LC authorities did not have a happy ending. I hope to hear that she has recovered.
Old 06-25-2006   #5
I was trip leader of the raft trip that came upon the kayaker. It was below devils staircase in a relatively calm section. Talking to her friends she swam above what we call horseshoe hole, the rapid around the corner from ansel watrous, she apparently recirculated in horseshoe hole and came out of the hole face down. One of the kayakers with her swam out of his boat and carried her to shore. The kayakers thought she was underwater for 2-5 minutes.

I was in the last raft, sweeping for the trip, and when I came around the corner shyler was giving cpr. He acted amazingly. It was only his second comercial trip ever, and he reacted calmly and quickly. He caught a small eddy and took over the resecitation. The kayakers with the lady weren't experienced in cpr, and shyler is an emt-b. One of the customers on our trip was a paramedic, and he ended up staying with her in the ambulance until the helecopter got her. The kayakers had apparently been giving her cpr for 10-15 minutes before we got there, and we continued for another 20 before the ambulance came. All told she wasn't breathing and was without a heartbeat for about 40 minutes, but she responded to the AED and her heart began beating again before the helecopter picked her up at hewletts. The canyon ambulance driver told us today that she is on a respirator in the hospitol with a heartbeat of her own, but unconscious still.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but it is important to remember that in cold water metabolism slows and there is still a chance. Don't give up on the cpr. All of us on scene including the paramedic thought she was gone, but noone quit, and now she has a chance. Be careful and cautionus out there in all conditions. Remember stuff can happen anywhere even in a class III section like lower mish.

My sympathies go out to anyone who knew her. I hope all the best for her and her family.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #6
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
wow thats crazy - those AEDs are quite amazing - was it on your raft trip or in the ambulance? thinking of getting one for our remote trips. the sooner the better on those things. hoping for the best for the victim but that is a pretty long time.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thats sad. My condolences to all involved. It would be nice to have a name once the family has been notified. I've met several paddlers that could match that description and I'm wondering.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #8
her name was laurie Wirp from Boulder - 48 years old - taken from the fort collins newspaper - Hope she makes it through this
MPEARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #9
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
BrainK, nice work on your crews part. That is a tough situation to come upon and it sounds like your guides did an outstanding job.

My thoughts are with the kayaker, I hope she has a full recovery.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #10
Thanks so much for the updated info, and nice work to those involved. It is definitely a reality check to find that something like this could happen in a commonly boated section of the lower canyon. I feel terrible for her boating companions and her family as they go through this. And again, my apologies for the initial misinformation...looking forward to her recovery.