Old 05-20-2007   #1
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Poudre Beta: Rustic Up & Down?

Since Front Range boaters are mobbing Northgate, I'm thinking about heading south to the Poudre with a play cat (the Mini-Cooper of inflatables). Plan is to camp over a week-night and float Upper Rustic day one and Lower Rustic day two.

Here's the question: I'm happy with fast-acting IV water, read & run, overlapping boulders, slot-drops, etc. But I don't want to lead my mates into any sandbag epic stuff. Consulting various guidebooks, eddyflower, etc. I've found Upper Rustic rated as Advanced, mellow III, III+, etc. Lower Rustic gets a IV or Expert, generally speaking, with mention (but no details) of Grandpa's Gorge.

Are there nasty objective hazards? Is a confident (or overconfident) III boater likely to get in a fix?

(Glad to exchange beta & shuttles for Northgate-Six Mile Gap for the same on Poudre turf.)

yrs in the art,

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Low bridge @ high water to look out for

Keep in mind, there is no camping within 1/4 mile of river except in campgrounds.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
TONS of wood on lower section, be very head's up for strainers. 4 rapids worth scouting on lower section: Grandpa's Gorge, about a mile past Indian Meadows, just beyond a bridge. Death by Dismemberment, a 5-6ft drop underneath a bridge with a rock hazard on the river left bridge foundation. Fourplay and 99 hole are within 100 yards of each other at mile marker 99. They come just after the bridge that has red-colored support beams.

None of the drops have make or break moves, just some holes to punch and a few pour-overs to avoid, they are all in the III+/IV- range. I don't know anything about the upper section except the Miracle Mile (1/4 mile) is awesome at mile marker 86ish. Have fun, Drew
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #4
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Gracias, amigos

Thanks for the help. Logs & strainers are a particular concern– even on easy water.

Cool runnings!

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote