Old 04-18-2011   #11
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I think the NF of the Poudre is a great run for people who:

- enjoy early season class II/III runs
- like to run something that doesn't run very often
- like the scenery
- have the skills to navigate and portage the hazards (multiple fences)
- don't mind the flat water paddle out across Seaman reservoir
(ie. early season conditioning)

Personally I really enjoyed the run last spring and plan on doing it again this spring. That said, if I lived near Boulder or Denver I likely wouldn't make the drive up to do the run. But I live close and for me it's a good early season "training" run.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #12
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
As of this morning the SWE at joe wright is 39.8 - nearly an inch higher than 1983 - its now the highest anyone has seen since boating has been around. Get your dancing shoes on.
Some perspective... JW SWE is 10" (34%) ahead of where it was at this time in 1983... and we have a really wet weather pattern that is expected to persist through at least the next 2 weeks... (expect another inch or more tonight, and another Wed-Thur, etc).

At this point it seems that, no matter how it unfolds, it's going to be wicked epic!

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #13
Its crazy - right now the current swe is higher than the peak in 1983. I keep thinking that its gonna stop snowing at some point, but maybe not. It looks like in 83 the snow levels peaked in the last week of may, if the snow keeps falling till the end of may this year we'll be boatin into november.

It'll be interesting to see how it all comes down. No matter what there is a lot of water up there and its comin, one way or another.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #14
4 foot 4th...of august
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
or... it's 8 feet for a day...

That's the pessimist in me.

Hopefully we have a decent warming pattern and we're boating at 4+ for 2 months
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #16
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
release from seamen that started around 12 or 1. i was fishing just below gateway, and a wall of stick, logs, and chocolate milk came down river out of nowhere.

someone needs to work on the city of greeley to modify the outlet of seaman so they don't pull so much sediment off the bottom the res when they open it up.
Good luck, clearing the res of sediment is a top priority. Honestly, the sediment is critically needed downstream, its not such a bad thing.
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #17

I for one am sceptical this year will be anything like 1983.

That year, the outflows reached just under 2000csf about now [Mid April]; remaining over over 1000 through most of July, and flowing in the 4000-6000 pretty much all of June.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #18
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Anyone want to go up to Pineview and attach a yard stick to the rock with me? We might need the 8 foot marker... At least the bridges will be under water so we can boat.

Festivus, don't be such a downer. This is the hundred year flood. Everyone in Fort Collins is dead, but the boating will be memorable!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #19
The 100 year flood in 1904 was estimated to have an outflow at the canyon mouth of 5700csf. Hell, we were close to 8000 the year the north fork blew out.... late 90s if I remember. The canal systems must be able to unload 3 or 4000 csf, because the pictures of 1904 show most of laporte underwater.

What the heck Randaddy, Ill smoke that pipe with you. When you want to go. On second thought we would probably get arrested for altering the river... remember quartzite.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #20
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Or... You could measure out the foot and six inch marks up to 8 feet and spray some more numbers. But... If you're smoking that pipe, be careful with the paint.

hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote