Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-15-2005   #11
After driving over Wolf Creek pass the other day, it did look like some new rocks had been pushed in. Let's not forget that this can be a good thing. Yes, it sucks when a good drop is destroyed, just as much as when a good drop is naturally changed (Tunnel Falls used to offer sweet downtime, w/o the beat downs).

The drops on the South Fork looked unchanged, but I think some new ones may be there. Just think of all of the great runs that have been at least partially formed by blast rock from roads, mining, or railroads in Colorado alone. SSV is top of my list, plus Big Thompson, Gore, Spencer Heights, Joe Wright, Clear Creek's Silver Plume to Georgetown (seriously, its not even in the natural river bed, and still fun), Bailey, Barrel Springs, Upper Fryingpan, Lower Crystal stuff, Gillman Gorge (can you say Slurry Pipe?), Homestake, and of course the forbidden M-wave (which is worth the drive about once every 4 years). Maybe we could talk to CDOT about where to place the rocks. A little to the left please sir, and that big one up there in the flats... They just need a little proper guidance.

Yes, I know none of the above runs are "super super classic" or should I say clean. (Before I get flamed, Gore and Bailey are classic, but they don't compare to half the runs around Durango or in the Crystal Valley in my opinion). But sometimes we get lucky with a little blast rock. Keep the fingers crossed.

Yeti, don't take anything the wrong way. We all enjoy searching for something new. Just don't feel that it has to be new to the world to be cool. It just has to be new to you. Most people would rather see you stop filming and setting safety, and drop into a gorge with them.

Fuck that sounded lame.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #12
Good thoughts Kyle,
CDOT did not do this 1/4 mile any favors, we really need TNT and a long fuse.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #13
Steve, I'm all about blowing some shit up... Read any good dynamite books lately?

E-ross said you were huge in the Florida find. Can't wait to check it next spring. I was born in Bayfield, and my family still lives there, so I've been curious ever since fishing it with my dad.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #14
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #15
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
yeeee haawww
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #16
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
OK, li'l buddy, whatever you say.

P.S. I didn't have anything to do with the first d of Tatlow -- that would be some Canadians.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #17
I agree with Yeti, Todd is extreme.

But not as extreme as a class V rafter, does running gore classify you as a class V rafter? I'm a great rafter as well, maybe we can go on a class V run sometime.
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #18
I’m just reading through and really don’t wont to get involved and take anyone’s side. However like always here's another MB thred where people are bitching at each other, and I can’t resist a comment.

Yeti just to touch up on your comment about Todd being spoiled for exploring in BC and flying around in a heli. That’s just you trying to mold him into a class 5, hot head so that you can continue ripping on him. I’d bet that he’s never been in a heli and if he was it wasn’t for boating. Don’t give him shit for exploring BC either, he’s doing that with his own hard earned cash, in a since like your doing in CO. For that reason there should be nothing holding you back from exploring BC so don’t give him shit about it.
E-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #19
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Nevermind. Lotsa, tooo funny. E-Ro, i have no cash. Help....
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #20
Paddling Since: 1993
Think about the outcome!

I want to preface this with the fact that I am a good friend of Todd’s but this has nothing to do with my response. Being that I am in the office 75% of my time I get a bit of spare time to review buzz. During this “spare time” I have viewed several pictures from Yettigonecrazy and I have to admit I have seen very little realistically runable drops. Now I have also watched Tao Berman run some sick shit that I still can’t believe he got away with. But the point being none of it was clean and I don’t really care for landing on rocks personally. Sure someone can scrape down rock and survive but does this mean this run will become the next whitewater gem of the state. I doubt it. I also think this talk about dynamite needs to be quelled. Modifying a river bed without the consent of the Army Corps of Engineers is a federal offense. Take a look at the outcome of the dynamite operation on the Salt. I don’t think any kayakers I know would be happy as Bubbas bitch for the next five years. I am sure any court would look at this activity as malicious in nature given that there is a highway near by and in their eyes there is potential for structural damage. Anyway the point I believe Todd was trying to make is rather than daydreaming about runs that are really by all technical definitions unrunable. Let’s focus our attention on runs that aren’t structurally impaired like those that land on rocks, such as runs with removable obstructions such as log jams. I don’t know about the rest of you but in my opinion wood seems to be piling up faster than it is washing out. Or how about access issues last time I checked we are loosing the battle in the courts of Colorado for access to navigable waters. If we set a president in this state that we are willing to disregard the law for our own personal gain (dynamite or illegal access) then what kind of a message are we sending the people in power who can adversely impact our ability to recreate in Colorado. If legal president is established in this state allowing land owners to restrict access to navigable waters imagine the potential outfall.
P.S. Todd quit being such a dick, and yeti chill out if you can get past your wounded pride he makes some very valid points.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote