Old 04-03-2015   #1
Las Vegas, Nevada
Potential Newbie Advice

I am an avid skier and cyclist, but I have always wanted to take up whitewater kayaking. The problem is, I dont have any idea how to get started.

I live in las vegas. There are some basic classes here I plan on taking in the upcoming month or two. But beyond that, I am lost. I am interested strictly in whitewater. Are there spots near las vegas that I can go to. How does one manage the trips in terms of parking going down river and getting picked up. Where does one get together with like minded people to plan logisitics for these things.

Any and all advice for someone looking to get into the sport is welcomed.

azmtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #2
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Move out of the desert if you want to kayak or Raft. Your options are severely limited based on your location. Learn to Roll in a pool. Then you must travel to boat. Salt in AZ, Kern in CA and Sevier or Virgin in UT are probably the closest. You will be traveling 8+ hours to get to a river with beginner stretches. You might consider a vacation to N.CA or CO in mid summer. Take a course on the Arkansas near Salida CO.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3
LAX to SEA, 90032
Paddling Since: 2009
Couple ideas. I'm based in Los Angeles, so I understand the frustration of not having easy access to water. My boating is mostly done on extended spring and summer vacations. You should look at the community of Reno, and join boof.Com. Mountain buzz is more about the rocky Mountain area. Boof is CA and western OR. The epicenter of Boof is around Sacramento area. Log as much time in the pool as you can. Perfect rolls in every way. If you have a play boat work on flat water tricks. Enjoy and be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
scotttoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #4
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Take the pool classes. Many people discover they don't really care for the feeling of being upside down as much as they thought they might. Kayaking has a low retention rate so try before you buy.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote