Old 05-04-2006   #11
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Are you guys going to repeat this run anytime soon?

Is it shot by the time you can drive to the put in?

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #12
Schizzle--We all think it's worth another run. Not sure when. The snow ended right at the put in. The Elkhead still needs a lot of work as far as figuring out easy logistics. Everyone agreed, they'd like to see it at lower flows to find out if it'd be more chaneled. There was a sweet boof in there we didn't run because it was right above a log and the landing was really areated and pushy so it would be hard to get out of the way. At lower flows you could stick the boof and get right in time. This run does need some more probing so stop by the office in Steamboat if you have a team ready and we'll give you the info.........

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #13
steamboat, Colorado
According to Bears Ears Ranger District, the gate at the forest boundary remains closed until July 1. It was open when we sledded by it, with 2 feet of snow around it. I guess they will close it when they can. It's vital bird habitat. That's why the gate remains closed so late.

The take-out is on private property, a second generation ranch called Elkhead Ranch. The landowner lives right beside the take-out. If you park a vehicle at the bridge, the landowner will know what's up. They will be unhappy! You need permission from them if you want to take out legally and without ruining further access to this river. They are nice people, but would feel really insulted if you didn't ask permission first.

I doubt this run can be done without snowmobiling in or a 3-5 mile hike over/around Quaker Mountain. I am not sure though. I suppose it's possible that the gate will remain open after the road is clear. If so, you could theoretically drive to the putin. There is a lot of snow up there still (8600 ft).

Here is your gauge: It has been running since mid-April and will probably go through May. Who knows? We did it on the 29th. It was probably above medium, maybe high. I would think it would go a lot lower. The flatwater might suck though.

you will need your gazetteer
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #14

What's your take on water levels?

PiToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #15
Dreamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993

Id say it was between medium and pushy...

danimal is offline   Reply With Quote