Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-16-2006   #1
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Posting Pics (totally subjective gallery rules)

O.K. not to be a DICK but...

1) When someone puts up a sweet waterfall pic let it ride for at least 6-24 hours before you throw up your lame - ass picture of a hole that you might be able to throw some ends in when the water gets higher pic. (case in point http://mountainbuzz.com//album_page.php?pic_id=1135 )

2) When someone puts up a picture of a first descent, especially if it is a picture of a sweet waterfall, once again, let it ride for as long as you can resist your itchy little trigger finger (yes ToddG is guilty of this very crime but at least he gave props with the call to the "previous" button ( http://mountainbuzz.com//album_page.php?pic_id=1133 )

3) Rafting pictures should be limited to non-blurry carnage and or exciting descents. Nobady wants to see your family rafting photos. Notice how the galleries read "KAYAK: Creeks" and "KAYAK: Rodeo & Freestyle." Emphasis on kayak.

4) Nude pictures are always welcome ( http://mountainbuzz.com/album_page.php?pic_id=1136 )

5) And finally, self promotional use is nearly a must for posting pics but let's not go overboard here. If you do something cool ( http://mountainbuzz.com//album_page.php?pic_id=1132 , http://mountainbuzz.com//album_page.php?pic_id=1110 ) most of us want to know about it. But nobady wants to see you doing your first 45 degree cartwheel at the golden playpark. We just don't give a fuck. Oh yeah, and putting pics up of your buddies who think they are cool, looking goofy, is just plain good form, because we all think that shit is funny (thanks Atom - no link to my goofy ass though, what can I say I was beat down from the run above, at least I got around 6 feet of air).

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #2
oh yeah
just upped a sick pic'!

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Evan... you are hilarious...

Couldn't agree more, but getting a bunch of kayak freaks to remember those rules is about as likely as getting them to go to church.

I am still laughing at your examples...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #4
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
I'm still laughing at that shot of Evan dorking out
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #5
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
blame the system

I stuck a pic of a super munchy and manky hole thats way out of place on a local class II stretch of river to make it accessible someone who might have wanted/needed to know. Or maybe some psycho wants to get chundered with a log on his way through town *shrug*. I didnt ask to get it front page. I thought the same
thing when i saw it there.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #6
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to hobie
First off Evan, I hope that was not directed at me as I post pictures here a good deal. Sometimes I wait a while but sometimes I throw them up there because I have the time right then. Also, if they are time sensitive. Meaning an event just happened and I include pics of participants. Like the PWTPS events which I think you might be referring to. You see not everyone goes big and sometimes these paddlers at our events enjoy seeing a picture of themselves on the web. They share with non boater friends via the web or maybe just get a kick out of it. So for you to say when and what should be posted is lame. Are you the photo general all of a sudden? I like many of the pictures as well but also realize I can go back thru them as Todd mentioned. I say post em' if you got em' It's paddling season and the stoke is alive. I posted photos last night to inform and show area paddlers a local run is up and fun right now. Pictures show good detail as to how it is at these levels. Should I not post them due to pushing back a photo of Billy Jones and Austin running burl? It's called the previous icon. It's pretty simple. Even if this post was not directed at me, I don’t care. If paddlers have something they want to share, then go for it.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
i'm pretty slammed with work at the moment, but i think i can help clarify real quick .. hobie, his post was not directed at you, but your points are nonetheless valid -- this is a *public* forum.

full disclosure: i privately bitched on a random email to evan that i posted my best photo from that last trip & it didn't last 2 hours before it got buried by a shot of a scrappy ledge hole without even a kayaker in it. totally selfish rant on my part .. i have no entitlement to that spot any more than you or anyone else.

but Evan thought about some general etiquette issues & then dropped a bomb, even calling me out. his points are pretty good. more just a "posting etiquette" suggestion, kinda like, when there's some sweet shit posted on the homepage, give it some time to see the light of day & for people to appreciate it for a minute before burying it. there's prolly some nice middle ground btw "post em if you got em" & "yo check me out on the homepage for the next month" .. if we all acknowledge that there's some room for etiquette even in pic posting then we've all kinda evolved the entire forum, no?

i think most people don't ever use the "Photos" --> "Creeking & Wildwater" gallery options, or even the "previous" button. most folks just click on whatever pic is on the homepage & that's it.

&d, fyi, any time you post a pic to any of the galleries it, by default, turns into the homepage pic until someone else posts.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #8
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
I'm with the wrangler. I think it's safe to say 9 out of 10 of us dont give a shit about seein play pics, I did a study, they're just too boring. I'm all for gilman gorge and stuff like that but could do without seein someone sit on a wave. These recent burl shots are the best that have been up in a long, long while. To cover it with a pic of a manky munchy hole....on a class II stretch....kinda sucks. We appreciate the heads up but maybe just post it under the Alerts page, eh? I realize the previous button exists but I also know we could do without some pics, period. Were all just gonna have to agree that- Thank god, teletuesday is over.

Pictures of marmots and T&A are always welcome btw. Evan, hope you have proof she's of legal age.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #9
Seattle, Washington
I've never posted a pic here before. I know whenever I do that I probably won't be checking to see how long the current pic has been posted and set my friggin stopwatch to make sure I give it it's due time.

I must say I appreciated the pics hobie posted since it's nice to see current conditions of what a lot of us will be running rather than some gnar shot that most of us will have nothing to do with.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #10
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I don't know about the rest of you but I always check the previous photos, so your shot will be seen, just maybe not on the first page.

I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to stretch the latest picture box to allow maybe the last three photos?

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote