Old 05-08-2012   #1
Sainte Foy Tarentaise, Savoie, France
Paddling Since: 2009
Post Acl surgery fitness tips

Can Anyone out there help with fitness tips for kayaking I can integrate into the rehab for the ACL surgery I had last week? I'm definitely lacking in core stength, and carrying a little excess insulation. Thanks in advance!!

ml1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #2
pnw, Washington
My ACL therapy was intense enough that I didnt feel like working out much of anything else. Check with your PT and they will give you hints but I would think non-weight bearing core work would be a good start.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #3
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
What you are able to as well as should and should not do depends on a lot of factors like what type of surgery you had (patellar tendon graft, hamstring or cadaver?), physical condition before the surgery, current condition, etc...

I'd be very careful about advice you get online from anyone who doesn't know all the details of your injury, surgery and situation.

Your PT and surgeon are the best and most ideal people to get these types of recommendations from.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #4
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I had my acl replaced in 2005 and have had a great recovery. Once flexibility was restored, I began a progressive program of stationary bike to riding outside. Prior to that I was skinning up Buttermilk and riding the chair down-5 weeks post-op.

Of course, listen to what your doc and p.t. tell you, but once your flex and range of motion is restored, anything that's in-line- not lateral stresses will build strength and avoid unneeded stresses to your acl.- Don't be impatient and try to work on strength before range of motion is restored-you'll build up scar tissue and fuck yourself.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #5
Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2012   #6
The Bitterroot, Montana
I quit running and got a hipster fixie road bike. Listen to your doctor though.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #7
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Yoga is great for your core. Go to a good instructor who can modify based on your injury. The PT (who I'm sure you're going to) will have some ideas too. You invested in an expensive repair. Use professionals to help you recover from it. Don't do this at home at least until someone has shown you how.
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Just came off my 3rd knee surgery in October (meniscus repair; previously also did a meniscus repair and an ACL before that). Follow what the PT says and do it religiously. Getting to the stage where you can pedal a stationary bike is key, and I was ultimately told to cycle daily from now until the end of time.

We have a great yoga class here in Boulder that is tailor made for gimpy guys ('yoga for men'). Once you are ready, that is worth checking into. Plenty of core work there along with flexibility, etc. Don't underestimate the power of basic pushups, etc. once you can do them (forget this if you are still in the awful brace-you can do more damage getting down to the floor)

The extra layer will start coming off as your activity level rises. I am now pretty close to full activities and am getting back to lean. Good luck.
Gorams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #9
Once again thanks for the help and encouragement!
Old 05-11-2012   #10
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
PT and the Doc are interested in you getting back into ok shape with no chance of injury, If you live a truly active lifestyle, you are used to dealing with pain and small injuries. Find a GOOD personal trainer, they will work at your speed not the average joe that sits in front of the tv all day. I had a acl reconstruction, and was competing in freestyle skiing 3 months later. We all heal at different rates. Find a trainer that can really pay attention and work with you.
Lunges, lunges, lunges.

BAER is offline   Reply With Quote