GCPBA has heard from the Bureau of Reclamation on the possibility of a
March habitat-building flow. Looks like it could be a factor for people to think about if they're launching in that time window.
If it occurs, it would seem reasonable to expect that a lot more
specific information will be available well in advance.
As a result of contemporary information from scientific monitoring,
research activities, and stakeholder discussions in the Glen Canyon
Dam Adaptive Management Program, a 2008 high flow is being proposed.
The dam release characteristics of such a test would be identical to
the test conducted in 2004, but under much more highly enriched fine
sediment conditions, a unique situation during the last 10 years.
This purpose of this test would be to determine the effectiveness of
rebuilding and reworking sandbar deposits and backwaters in Marble and
Grand Canyons. The Department of the Interior has concurred with: (1)
Reclamation's proposal to initiate environmental compliance activities
on the proposed test; and (2) USGS's proposal to continue planning and
scheduling scientific monitoring and research activities related to
The test is proposed to occur in early March; however, a final
decision on whether to conduct such a test has not been made. Such a
decision is currently expected to be made about mid-February 2008,
only after environmental compliance actions are complete.
If you need additional information, please contact me directly.
Bureau of Reclamation