Old 05-24-2008   #11
That was a little freaky, glad everything worked out.

sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I was most impressed by the dozens of emergency workers and the need to block a lane of traffic in the canyon to get at the pinned boat, even though they were accessing the spot from the driveways on river left.

As we drove by the road block, I heard one of the firefighters say "there go our next victims".

I also heard one of the boaters was not wearing a pfd.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
It's a good Idea for you Colorado Boaters or anyone planning on paddling there to go to REI and buy a 5yr hikers pass for 20 bones. It will cover rescue fees as this cards money goes to support rescues. Go get one

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #14
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post
Heard the same things.... Cracker.. you must be Mike?

Bottom line on this is that these boys are probably looking at several thousand dollars in bills for what happened after they bailed. There were two fire engines, scuba team, ambulances, tons of general rescue workers and people stopping traffic so they could use one lane in the canyon. My guess over 30 people for several hours.
Overkill yes, especially hindsite 20/20. BUT, the city's can't just "sorta react" when they find a boat in the river and no one that knows what happened to the paddler(s). I am sure they have a canned response since they have no idea if there is a body pinned above or below the boat. Think of it... the body could be f'n 10 miles up or downstream for all they know. With today's litigous(sp?) socienty... that a price that... well, they are going to pay for doing something that stupid. (leaving a scene of an accident of that nature).
I am glad they are OK, but I would be very surprised if their wallets aren't a lot skinnier...

Didn't Golden charge 3K to someone that did the same thing last year in Lower CC???
Unless the paddlers or someone representing them ( a wife, bf or gf) calls the authorities how can they bill them for this? Leaving the scene... is a motor vehicle law here in Idaho anyway. Applies to powered motor boats as well. I think even if you are on a bicycle and run into something causing injury or property damage the same law could apply.

For losing your shit on a creek and not being able to find it - give me a break.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #15
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
It's a good Idea for you Colorado Boaters or anyone planning on paddling there to go to REI and buy a 5yr hikers pass for 20 bones. It will cover rescue fees as this cards money goes to support rescues. Go get one

i was just gonna yourselves a boatload of trouble and buy that card!!! its not just for boating either.....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
If you lose your shit, report it to the authorities so they know you're OK and have the color of the boat and who it belong to. Common sense, right Slee?

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #17
yeah right! there is no way they can charge these gus!!
well........ they can charge them!!! but no way will that hold up in court!!!!

plus its wrong!!!! unless THEY called for help!!!! or were actually on site and needing assistance!!!!!!

Imagine the next time you go for a trip and

only one person in the party swims and loses there goods !

everyone is safe and you leave to get freinds/support to help retreive a pinned boat?

and some touron from Texas decides oh boy someone might be in there!

do you really think you would want to be charged and that would be OK?

I can see calling the local authorities to try and eliminate a false rescue!

I would stay with the boat but if you cant get to it until the water subsides you will likely get a call from a tourist to EMS!

also many of us have the same make, model and colored boats and as it may be rare (maybe not) this could hamper a real rescue that is happening at the same time or even the next day if it were to get reported again! (if the boat could not be removed previously) tough call on that one!

I dont know?, this just sounds like a bad situation for both teams!!!
we have a certain responsibility to manage our situations on the river but to have someone freak out and call EMS is not a good deal for anyone!!!!!
and can compromise our personal responsibility!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Reminder -- report to S&R folks if you leave a boat in or along the river

A repeat of what I posted in the Alerts...
Have the phone number for non-emergency calls to the local S&R folks handy. If you and your craft are separated, give them a courtesy call to let them know.

Give the location, type of craft, the color, and any other identifiable information. Also, ensure them that the person who was in the boat is safely out of the situation. It might also be helpful to describe if there is a possibility that the boat may float free. It is probably helpful if you have at least your phone number somehow "attached" to your boat.

Remember that if they see or get a report of a kayak all by it's lonesome, they will have to assume that the owner is somewhere in deep doo-doo and will start a search for the owner in the most logical place (the river).

A simple call might save a lot of time that these folks spend searching for someone that is not there.

City of Boulder the number is (303) 441-3333 for non-critical emergencies
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I was the kayaker

Let me set this story straight. I have been kayaking for about 8 years and of course i had a saftey vest on or pdf. Where did you get that idea. After swimming we hiked back up to my car which took about 30 min because we had to climb the side of a cliff. When we reached my car we drove down past where i believed my kayaks and paddles could have floated to. When there is over $2,000 dollar worth of shit floating down river you don't want to walk down stream and hope that it stops, you go beloew where it should be and walk up. Also whom ever said we left the scene, we flipped over a half mile up river from where they found my boats, so even if we stayed at the scene we would have not seen the rescue, police ect because they were down stream of where we went swimming. While we were walking up the creek we sent my buddies twin brother to go ask around up by the park to see if anyone stopped the boats. When he got up there he saw a ranger and told him that it was our boats after they had been there for about 15min. However they insisted on staying for another 2 hours for no fucking reason but to dislodge a boat and make myself go chase it down river and jump in a get it myself. If every kayaker called 911 afeter losing a kayak and it prevented them from helping someone who was in need they would be bitching about kayaker tying up the phone lines. When my friends brother told them it was my kayaks they should have left but no they stayed and kept asking are you sure its your boats. Needless to say it is very nice that there are people out there to help us but when a kayaker tells the authorities that its their boat they need to just leave. I hope this better defines the events that occured that day.
BruneKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #20

brettb is offline   Reply With Quote

accident, boulder, boulder creek