Old 03-23-2007   #1
Portage on Cross Mountain?

Can anyone tell me where the portage is on Cross Mountain when it gets above 2500? And can you tell me why? Is there something in the river or justa really nasty hole, what am I looking for? Thanks

Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #2
There's one spot called Mamoth Falls near the begining of the run that could get really sticky. It's a river wide hole that you have to punch from center river to right (could change at different levels) after that you need to make your way close to the right bank to avoid another hole. In past years you could recognize this drop by the log jam about 10 feet above the river on the left side (that's exactly where the major drop is). There's a trail going up the right bank for scouting and I think you could portage there. If remember correctly I was able to run it 2700 cfs, but I got squirted in my playboat. One of the best boaters that I know of, Oley Kailer got stuck in that hole at high, high water and surfed it out because he thought he'd die if he had to swim it. Crystal Young told me she spent some time getting window shaded in there in a King Pin. I think you should you use your gut feeling and some advise from other boaters if it looks nasty because it very well could be bad. However if you're around 2000 cfs or lower, I'd probably just scout and run it. Higher than that and it could be questionable. There's another huge hole that reminds me of Gore Canyon's toilet bowl on steroids, but this is easily recognizable and you can run the right side of the channel safe and easily. That's toward the end of the run in some class III stuff.

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #3
The first major rapid, which ive always known as osterizer, is probably what your thinking of. Its about 300 yrds. into the cyn, and is easily scouted on the right. Basically, its the first LEFT turn in the cyn. Im pretty sure it gets run well higher than 3000, though the biggest ive seen it is 2,700. It does, at some point, get ridiculous and compel even a charger to consider walking it. There is a house rock plugging all of river left which is a good landmark to look for on the approach, and a user friendly eddy on the right to get out and scout. The real meat of osterizer is the second hole, which is a pourover and at highwater can hand out a serious chundering, so best clean that entry drop! Bottom line, at its current level, there isnt a mandatory portage on Cross, but id HIGHLY recommend hooking up w someone who knows the run.
Yampaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #4
What the hell is Mamouth Falls? Ocsterizer doesn't get portaged that often. Not at any level I've seen anyway (up to 6,000).

If you don't want to pound the meat there's always the sneak on the far, far right. It's the first rapid. Hard to miss. Besides, "how can you have any pudding if you haven't eaten your meat."
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote