Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: What is the best play park in Colorado?
Other 15 21.74%
Buena Vista 2 2.90%
Pueblo 7 10.14%
Golden 15 21.74%
Durango 5 7.25%
Steamboat Springs 8 11.59%
Salida 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2005   #1
POLL: What is the best play park in Colorado?

Place your votes now! Manmade play waves have become all the rage in Colorado. Of the following, which is your personal favorite?

Colorado Canoe and Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #2
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
Confluence down to 20th St... the water is body temp all year long.

alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #3
Denver, Colorado
Confluence sucks!!!!!!!! Try Union over 800; cleaner water(compared to Confluence), better features (first two drops anyways), no bathers getting in the way. Only problem is this hardly ever runs.
LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #4
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Gloden. Not because of the drops, but because of the people who play in that park. They are the best, and they put on the best rodeo in the state in my opinion. GCR. Nice work boys
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
connie or union

connie or union?
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #6
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
South Platte

No dought it has to be the South Platte. For several reasons: 1) one of the first to be built in the US (1977) and helped to set a trend for cities to embrace recreational uses. 2) it's length, 14.5 miles that includes C-470, Union, Confluence Park, 20th St., and Tressel. 3) range of paddler levels great for total beginners and excellent play at higher levels for the advanced. 4) It has been improved 1995 (thank you Greenway Foundation). 5) It runs all year round, you can surf and throw ends in the heart of the winter. 6) It makes the city we live in a better place to live. Brings green space to downtown, protected bird areas in the south, and parks lots of parks for pinics, gathering, watching movies, seeing bands, checking out the flowers, watching birds, taking the dog for a swim, using your raft, using you inner tube, training in you race boat, it has it all and more.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
You're kidding me, right?? Is there any question here? The surfing at Union is crummy at every single level I've been there.

At Confluence -- you got Trestle over 1000, 20th St Wave from 700-1100+ and the best hole in Colorado when CC floods out in the Cherry Creek Hole.

Someone prove me wrong here -- at what levels is there actually good surfing at Union? And I don't count the chute at the top, too bad it's actually retentive, that thing is just stupid. I'd rather play an eddyline.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #8
Re: POLL: What is the best play park in Colorado?

Hate to burst the northern Colorado bubble,,Pueblo is pretty Phat for their first year.
mastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #9
Denver, Colorado
I saw you swim out of that top hole at Union, don't be mad cause you can't throw down. You're right though, the top gets a little boring after a while, but the second wave is the shiat at the right level. I can understand if your a little scared to get in it when it gets big, the swirlies after it would make you swim for sure, you actually have to have a brace to boat there. The bottom hole is good at lower levels, but you would definitely get your ass handed to you in that. Bottom line, when both are at high water, Union is better anyday, and you will get worked at Union no matter what level, even in the eddy lines.
LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #10
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
bad poll

I'm not sure how one can justify Golden getting the most votes when you can't even loop at any one single feature or hit rock when you throw ends there. Yea yea yea I know its not just about a great play hole but for many of us it is. There are plenty of places to practice your roll or carve turns all around the state. There are 12 some odd drops, and how good was the play this season? (hopefully this winter we will get some drops re-done.)
Its all about how many 303 voters swung the vote, nothing more nothing less.
I have to say the Front Range has some really cool features that rival West slope ones but none are located at the Golden park. (at least not this year)

-Lyons, Lawson, Union, Conf.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote