Old 05-05-2006   #21
Yeah. Does anyone else feel WAY "over-governed" here? I know people are stupid, so we must be protected from ourselves sometimes, but this is just plain rediculous. I would have been moving rocks the day I closed on the property!

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #22
Dirt Bag USA, Colorado
BrettB, I have to applaud your effort, especially since I live on Chicago Creek and did the same thing! I guess I am lucky and own both sides of the creek. From the look of the pic it has very little effect on the big picture of CC. I would encourage a black ops rock moving party say 03ish. hahaha

dashzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #23
Paddling Since: 1993
I skimmed through the earlier post and did not see if any one had responded to this issue but the concern here is the army corps of Engineers who regulate the waters of the united states. When intending to work within waters of the united state an 404 and a 401 permit must first be obtained. You could also apply for a nation wide permit and not have to go through the individual permitting process. The work you have done in the stream channel in this instance is minor and though regulatory agencies don't tend to be particularly forgiving it does not appear any irreparable work has been done in fact it looks that the structures will only blow out in the upcoming high water season. I doubt the Corps. will be particularly concerned with the work you have done though I cant say for sure. I recommend contacting the local district and discussing this issue with them further. Generally they are not concerned with work conducted in less than 5 cfs of discharge with less than 50 cubic feet of fill material. You have in no way impacted the stream channel in a negative manner thus I think they will be forgiving though you should not mess with them as I have seen some seriously vindictive actions too those who get on the wrong side of the clean water act.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #24

Brett, my property downstream, the town actually owns the creek via an easement. You would not need a 404 b/c of the small amount that you're moving. You are allowed to "prepare" your property for flooding. Who's the ass? I'm still game for bringing in a cpl dump truck loads for my property. I'll see you this week, let me know the scoop. BOB
Remoteproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #25
Seriously if the water got high enough that stuff would just wash out. We are going to have a huge water year. Predictions say higher than anything in the past 40 years, so i understand why the neighbors freaked. Honestly the neighbors should have just walked over and talked to you about it though. Then you could have explained.

My other point is Proof. As far as I remember that row of rocks has always been there. So what if you were out moving rocks looking for crawdaddys. If anyone else ever gets caught I say prove it! Though the black opts with nightvision goggles sounds like the best idea!!

Seems to me that if they wanted someone to take it down now, they would need a permit to change the river, so enjoy your new wave!

Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote