Old 05-18-2006   #11
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The cayan pepper/vaseline mixture should be applied to the ol' cack'n'balls. Foot discomfort will be a thing of the past.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #12
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
The best way to stop the itch on your ankles is to rub poison oak on your balls............Brained!!!!

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #13
Cocaine Morphine Sulfate my friend,real serious cough medicine for terminal cancer patients.Might not cure poison oak but you won't give a shit.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #14

dude - one word for instant (temporary) satisfaction...

not kidding - give it a shot - almost makes the ivy or oak worth it!
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #15
Three Rivers, California
Paddling Since: 2002
As a Cali local I'd like to clear up a few myths about poison oak. It doesn't spread from the blisters. Most people make the mistake of not knowing they touched some, then scratch all over and it shows up everywhere in the next few days.

The best method I have for avoiding is is #1 never touch any plant if at all possible, early in the year poison oak doesn't have leaves but can still spread just from the stem. If you're on a run that has poison oak, jump in the water after every portage and completly immerse yourself. If you scout something and don't touch any plants but walk through some, get at least waist deep in the water before getting in your boat. An easy way to get it everywhere is get it on your legs, transfer it into your boat...on and on. When you get off the water jump in and dunk your boat too, then shower when you get home. The good news is once you get it all the time you don't get it as bad, my third patch from this year is small and not annoying at all.
darinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #16
Denver, Colorado
Huh, I've read that you get more susceptible the more you get exposed. A quick googling confirmed this... although I also found sensitivity decreases with age. A lot of conflicting info out there. Bottom line- recognize it and stay away.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #17
Amsterdam, Netherlands
darnm- sweet blog dude. you cali boys have it good. -t
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #18
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
There's a new product called "Zanfel" that is available at most Wal Marts Pharmacies. Its about $30 for one ounce. You apply this stuff after you get ivy and it relieves the itch and makes it not get any worse. I have it on my leg from the Black Canyon last week. Put some Zanfel on and its sooo much better. Give it a shot.

PS- I am not sponsored by zanfel
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What Livingston said - I've read the more exposure the more likely you'll react. Like any allergic reaction your susceptibility can come and go. Also another myth from the myth dispeller is that water will wash it all off. Last time I fell into it, I knew I did, went into the river and scrubbed immediately, still got a reaction. There's some Technu stuff that you can use to wash off the oils and they make another one similar to Zanfel, (aka voodo potion) that's a hell of a lot cheaper, to help after you've already got the rash. Good luck.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #20
Three Rivers, California
Paddling Since: 2002
tboner, thanks, Cali gets better every year as we are starting to get some fall releases too.

Water will wash it off cloths, although yes it does bond your skin. I still wear fleece pants when it's 90 out because I can jump in and wash the oak off. Get it enough and scratching it is almost enjoyable..and hot water in the shower..mmmm.

darinm is offline   Reply With Quote