Old 06-16-2005   #1
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Poison Ivy ???

I got poison ivy on the inside of my knee recently while boating . My questions is what works best to clean out my boat so I don't just re-infect myself again?

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #2

bleach will kill about anything, especially poison ivy.

parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
The "poison" in poison ivy is oil based, so any soap should do it. To keep it simple, you could just power wash with suds down at the car wash.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'd go with the carwash idea. I don't know that there's anything to "kill" here and bleach will degrade the plastic.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #5
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
I know that it is just the oil that I need to get off. I was just hoping someone had gone through this before, so I figured I'd ask before attacking it with Dawn soap and a bucked of hot water.

The idea of going through this hell again if it didn't work is almost unbearable. I haven't been able to get in my boat for almost 2 weeks now.

I guess I'll give it a try and let you all know if it doesn't work...if it doesn't I'll be the guy on the shore itching.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #6

It's likely that the ivy oil will dry out on its own after several days, but good old soap and water will get rid of it for sure. For future reference there is a specialty poison oak/ivy wash called tecnu that you can use to breakdown the oil after getting contaminated. Usually you have a couple of hours to wash it off before it is aborbed by your skin. Do a google search for tecnu if you want more info, you can pick it up at most drug stores (e.g., rite aid). I keep a small bottle of it in my dry bag if I know I'm doing a run that has PI on it.
Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #7

I wouldn't count on it drying out!

Warm water and dawn always works for me.

I also have a special relationship with PI/PO--it pretty much destroys me. I have had great luck with prednizone (sp?). You can get it from the pharmacy for very cheap, but you have to have a script from a doc. It knocks out the reaction in hours (it sounds impossible, but it works on me). You don't want to take too much in a year, or for a very long amount of time, but they say that a week's worth will have no ill effect--take that for what it's worth. I have talked docs into writing refills so that I don't have to pay for a visit each time for my couple of bouts/yr with PI.

Good luck.
"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #8
the fort, Colorado
try peeing in ur boat
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #9
Zanfel Poison Ivy wash is a miracle worker and is available in most stores. Great stuff to cure your poison ivy once you get it (the best).

Technu is good too for washing when you think you might have oil on you.

Lava Soap would be the cheap way of cleaning the boat off. That crap works pretty damn well too.

Old 06-18-2005   #10
once you have broken out with the rash, scald it with hot water from your sink, bath, shower, whatever. This is the most painful, luxurious thing a person can experience as it releases the histamines that make you itch. I get about a twelve hour window of no-itch between scalds.

If you have been exposed but have not broken out, avoid hot water as it opens your pores and lets the oil in and eat prednisone or benadryl. Technu and a cold hose should rinse of any unwanted oils from a boat. I've heard dish soap dissolves the oil as well.

Once you get the oil in your system you can break out anywhere, so just because it's on the inside of your knee don't blame your thighbrace immediately.

If the rash gets really sloppy and messy, dab some bleach on a paper towel and paint the rash. It burns but it should scab up and go away, leaving your skin only slightly discolored.

If you're really brave eat a leaf or two. It will desensitize you, though I've heard horror stories about the intestinal reaction caused when it is processed. Can you say Taco Butt?

Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote