Old 06-18-2005   #11
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
If you don't have tecnu or zanfel (worth it, but why the F@#K do they have to charge $40 for a one oz. tube????) a capful of bleach diluted in @ half a cup of water or even straight bleach with just acouple drops of water applied topically every hour or two helps to dry it out, but I wouldn't do it for to long or use just that. i go for the kitchen sink theory- everything but the... -whatever it takes. previously i have tried Jewel weed (the herbal antidote) orally and topically, white clay, tecnu, homeopathics, antibiotics, topical steroids, tecnu, brown soap,.......
it all helps, but none are good enough by themselves.
the most success i have had (without having tecnu or zanfel on hand immmediately) was to use bleach topically, use zanfel every time i shower, (i think it's important to shower often,[in general], and so that caustic shit has less time to build up and spread.) and i also had some clobetisol- the heavy-duty topical steroid- which i started with asap, and went to the dermatologist right away, got more of that shit, and prednisone, and some other antibiotic, and it never even got to the point where it was open.... it still sucked but was no where near as bad as when i have gotten it previously.
i always try to avoid using western medicine,like antibiotics and steroids, and if possible, and use chinese herbs and homeopathics, (even though i work EMS and administer some heavy duty drugs on patients- if they get them, they tend to need them, though.)but in this case, it is the best way to knock it out quickly.
Good luck!!!

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005   #12
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Once you have the reaction it is all immune response--the oil is either long gone or has been phagocytized by macrophages. Your body is basically ripping shit up...unfortunately it is you. Benadryl tabs work ok to knock down the itch a bit. Topical shit will do little. The scalding shower thing exhausts your afferent nerve fibers. Just don't burn yourself. The number one thing to do is go to the MD and get systemic prednisone to take orally. I can't remember the dosage -- don't prescribe it much. But make sure you taper off of it and only take it for a protracted period to avoid cushingoid symptoms...most visibly a redistribution of the lipid in your body (fat trunk, skinny limbs). Good luck...I live in fear of the three leafed terror. Tons more of it back east.

BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #13

Has anyone here actully eaten PI on purpose?!? Or know someone directly who has? I would sell my soul to be immune to that horrible plant, but eating it?? Yikes! Where can I learn more about this?

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #14
Mike--I know of one guy who ate two P.O. leaves. He lives on an acreage in Sonoma that is infested with the plant and is kind of dumb as well. He claims to be immune now but he had to deal with a 'ring of fire' for two weeks to get there.

I have close encounters with the plant (P.O.) several times a week. I stopped doing all but the most basic cold water rinse after exposure and my breakouts have been diminishing to the point where I think I've built up an immunity.

Don't waste your money on Technu, topicals, or scrips if you're constantly exposed. Just learn to love the hot water burn and it's like not having the rash. I do know some people are hypersensitive to the oil, if you're one of those go see a doc and avoid the plant.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #15
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all the advice. I wish I would have known all that before but it was 2 days before I figured out what it was so we can just say that I got it bad! I found that Tea tree Oil worked really well for every one who likes the natural remody.

The hot water worked well and I found that cold river water felt great too, so good luck to every other unlucky soul who gets in this sh*t!

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #16
Mike a -- A gal I paddle with ate a few PI berrys by accident. She broke out horribly and couldn't take any steroids to alleviate the symptoms (she was pregnent at the time.) Apparently, she was picking berries and eating them. There must have been PI growing in the vicinity and she remembered biting down on some hard crunch "pepper corn like" items.

She is now more allergic to it than before and minor cases turn systemic (sp?) which ibeleive means it spreads everywhere.

After we do the portage on the Idaho Blackfoot, we just soap up pretty well. It's worked for me, in all the years I've been running that section I have yet to have a break out...
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #17
That's why I asked: I never had a reaction (maybe no contact?) until I got deep into it at around 12 yrs old (face, hands, legs arms from picking berries). Since then I break out if I stand down wind from it (well, maybe not that easily, but it seems like it some times). Now it will also break out in areas where I never had contact, even a couple of weeks after the initial rash, though not as badly. So while my original rash is going away, my reactionary rashes are just getting started. I just go straight to the steroids now, but only once or maybe twice per year, as it isn't that prevailent up here and I've gotten pretty good at spotting it.

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote