Old 04-28-2014   #21
Paddling Since: 2009
Originally Posted by gdtrfb8 View Post
Mark_vanis, your comment is actually what I'm just starting to kind of understand about the PNW. Other people have said (and they are likely correct) that we will probably go where the job(s) take us, at least at first, but it's good to know that as long as we land in the general area, we will probably be OK.
That is what makes the PNW so great! you have great biking, paddling, and snowboarding almost in Portland. Also if you need the sun go 2 hours east across the mountain range and you are in a high desert with dry powder and warm boating. PNW also in great for big water and tight creeks. I just love Oregon so so so so so so so much. I can not think of a better place.

Also some decent pay- How much do teachers make in Oregon? Salaries for new and experienced teachers

so in my opinion... more than ok.

mark_vanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #22
Here and There, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Might give some thought to Chattanooga TN. Great town with a fun historic district by the river. There are some career opportunities going on and such, although I don't know about the teaching situation for TN in general. There are really great rivers and mountains in that part of the world.

gjcarolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #23
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Have fun dealing with the TSPC if you move to Oregon or Washington! They're just dandy!

Seriously though, anywhere in Oregon and southern Washington that is "liberal" is also rather urban and is inundated with prospective teachers. I tried and failed. Out of my cohort of 20 or so, only one that I knew about had a full time position within commuting distance of Portland. Others found jobs in Oregon, but in places like Siletz which have more than their share of bubba trucks with gun racks.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #24
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
Hey there! Long time Oregon resident here, I'm currently in Boston for a while longer, but I am returning in August!

One thing I will tell you about Oregon, is that it has everything! Kayaking, snowboarding, deserts, ocean, sand dunes, volcanoes... but none of it is particularly close to each other!

Bend is a pretty solid balance of everything, and one of my favorite cities. If I could find a good job there I'd surely relocate there, although now that I'm working remote I may just buy a house there! Good snowboarding nearby, long(er) dry season then west of the mountains, a pretty good culture going on, and in general a pretty nice and outdoors oriented attitude. It's a great city. Amazing food options are to be found as well! VERY COLD WINTERS!!!!!! People there are generally younger, but it's still got a healthy balance around it. Lack of major industry or tech tends to have successful people in their 30's heading elsewhere.

What it doesn't have in the immediate vicinity though, is just a few hour drive away though. That's a common story for anything in Oregon.

Portland is a rad city, but it's become a bit of a dog pile. LOTS of highly educated people competing for jobs driving the pay scale for jobs way down compared to other cities, with a serious shortage of housing driving home prices (and thus rent) way up.

Portland is short drive to Mt. Hood (1.5 hours away, like all good things in Oregon), which has plenty of good snowboarding and seriously giant amounts of snowfall, plus a longer season than Bachelor. Terrain is milder but still plenty of challenge to be found. Lots of good rivers nearby, ocean nearby, tons of great food and culture, great spot. Plenty of white water stuff to be found within a reasonable drive.

Way more people in our age group (early 30s) living it up in PDX. Half of them are Baristas chasing the dream of their band making it big someday still... but there's still a big contingent of outdoorsy rad people to be had

Eugene Oregon is a very cool and progressive city. Lots of cool things going on down there, decent rivers nearby (again, 1.5 hours drive) and all sorts of stuff to do. Good food a plenty, fun little spots... LOTS of teaching to be had there. NOT a lot of culture... but hardly backwoods either.

Ashland seems to be a rad place. Better weather, decent stuff around, Mt. Ashland isn't miserable, but it isn't amazing either.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #25
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Originally Posted by jakebrown98 View Post
Seriously though, anywhere in Oregon and southern Washington that is "liberal" is also rather urban and is inundated with prospective teachers.
This is very true. Lots of educated folks in Portland, many went with the teaching, and in turn the market is ultra watered down until you move into somewhere more remote.

I forgot to mention, my house (that I own) is in Welches Oregon, right at the base of Mt. Hood. Really pretty area, nice and remote, and full of pretty darn nice and calm people. Get's your out of the liberal nutcase shit going on in Portland (kids can't play cowboys and indians!) and into somewhere a little less wound up about nonsense.
Old 04-29-2014   #26
Boise, Idaho
Live free or die, man!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #27
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Live free or die, man!
I love New Hampshire summers and falls. Now that I'm working remote it's entirely possible that I may try and reside in both states