Old 06-04-2012   #1
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
PNW Beta

Planning a trip to the PNW over the week of July 4th. I know this area had a ton of snow this year, but curious how it is melting off and predictions on conditions come early July.

Primarily a creeking trip IV+ to V, currently our list is very WA focused but would be interested in OR or Northern MO predictions as well.

The tick list includes:
Canyon Creek
Little White

Thanks in advance for the beta. SYOTR,

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #2
Searching for water....., Nevada

Well, the snow is melting off pretty fast in north western Montana. I think we have seen all the spikes we are going to and its downhill from here.

I would check the conditions closer to your trip for specific runs.

PNW is beautieful this time of the year.

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #3
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Being my first year up here, I'm not the best source of info but i can say there is still lots of snow left up here(the central/northwest side) Seems like it has yet to burst. Im just not sure which runs are low elevation runoff, which are high elevation, more rainfed dependent,etc. Not totally dialed in around these parts yet..have been lucky to hook up with those more in the know.

I'm pretty sure the Ohane will still be flowing, with the usual wood issues I'm told. Can't say I'm too sure about the others. LW probably, Truss might be, I think, but it's said to be fucked with wood..farmlands still ok. Add the Tye, Fall in the Wall, Icicle and the Cooper to your list..depending on flows.

Professorpaddle peeps are usually pretty helpful. Especially closer to go time. Great place for a roadtrip..especially this year.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
July and creeking don't go together too well. The White Salmon, Wind, and LWS near Hood River will be running. Most of the really good creeking is in the winter (rain fed) of course there are a ton of rivers that are great day trips. I'm not a class V paddler but some have put together a great website for Oregon. Oregon KayakingThis may give you some ideas
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by teletumbler View Post
The tick list includes:
Canyon Creek
Little White
We'll see what is still in play in four weeks, but if you come prepared to drive, you'll be able to get something good. You might wind up further north than the gorge, and if you bring your passport the BC stuff might be good.

Canyon is done for the summer. The flow is all the way down to 200 cfs, and all of the snow pack is gone from the low elevation drainage. It would respond to a lot of water, but we aren't going to get a pineapple in the summer.

UU Cispus - This might be in the zone. There was still tons of snowpack up there yesterday, but who knows what will be there in a month.

Truss - Oi Vey. Your comfort level with wood is going to have to be profound to go in there right now. That said, the beavers are hard at work. I fucking love this run and can't wait for it to be back.

Ohane - Levels are still a little high, but might be in the zone a month from now. No word yet on the wood situation.

LW - The race just went yesterday, and I didn't hear about any carnage. The level is at 3.4' right now. Somehow this survived the grand tree felling that occurred around here.

- The Lower Wind is a good time if you have 100-200 cfs in there to run laps on Shipperds, drink many beers at the hot springs and boat out half-lit in the moonlight to your car camp.
- Farmlands of the White Salmon might be good enough. Look for at least 3.4' on the gauge at Husum. The only significant piece of wood is in the moving pool above Lava Falls.

Oregon Kayaking
Wheels & Water
Facebook pages for both Little White Salmon and White Salmon River
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote