Old 06-08-2009   #21
Thank you for posting you account. Brought tears too my eyes that I could not hold back. Reminds that me what you went through during that time, we put our spouses through every time we go out to meet our goals, aspirations and push ourselves to be the best that we know is possible. Your strength is evident in your post and composure in these difficult times. I hope you are surrounded by love and strength.

PARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #22
Rockledge, Florida
I hope you don't stop kayaking. Five years ago I started kayaking after my oldest teenage son (just (JUST) turned eighteen) was killed in a really horrible car accident (trust me--it was as bad as it gets). Of course we were devastated. It is a life sentence dealing with something like this. HARD time on the Cross. It does get easier with time, which is on your side, I want to assure you. One day the next year we all (my wife, other son, and daughter) went to the local zoo and they had these kayak rides around the park water way for $5. We started to feel a little better for the first time in a long time (that whole experience is going to be strange for you too). But we did it again. And again. Well, within a few months time I had a garage full of kayaks. It's been therapy for us that is better than anti-depressants or therapy alone (and its used for wounded veterans--Project River Runner (Welcome to Team River Runner! | Team River Runner) and cancer victims through First Decents (First Descents > Home). Check out those websites--it will do you some good when you are ready for it. It is about re-connecting with life. Again, down the road a little probably. I'm speaking from the perspective of 5 years later.

Kayaking. You should not give this up. But if you do, find another outside sport or activity to replace it. Listen, I've been there. For me, the only thing I could do in the beginning was distract myself with things. There's nothing else you can do. But then it becomes about living strong and though you may not be ready now (be patient with yourself) your next goal in life (like it or not) is figuring out how to live life again. Won't be easy and my heart goes out to you. I'll pray for you and your fiance today on my paddle. In fact I'll dedicate my paddle to you both today.

LagoonYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #23
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Your decission was incredibly brave and wise. You are in my and my families prayers. I wish we could ease your burden
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thank you so much for having the courage to share that. For you to see, right now, that "He died doing the thing he loved most with the person he loved most", is truly amazing. I am thinking of you today. Continue to lean on your family and friends, it will keep you strong. You are strong and you will be ok.
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #25
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
condolences and prayers to you and your family. life is extremely fragile. you are an extremely strong person to go through the situation alone. thank you for sharing this very important lessen so we may relearn.

lets be safe brothers.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #26
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
so everybody is sad, but nobody knows who it is?
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Emotional support is the point here.

Maybe someone could give Yeti the facts he needs to show a little compassion.
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #28
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Ahh, Yeti....

It is called empathy, we feel compassion for someone, because we are able to place ourselves in their position.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #29
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fluid, thanks for posting. I'm recently married, and your description brought tears to my eyes. It's a good reminder not to take anything for granted, and to always respect the consquences of our time on the river.

Yeti, a previous poster mentioned the name "Gunny," but that's all I got.

Everyone else, let's surprise me by avoiding a flaming for just this post.
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #30
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm very sorry for your loss. You will get through this and someday better days will come back again. Remember all the good times you shared together and talk with your friends and family.

Also, FWIW from a total stranger, it sounds like you both did a solid job assessing the risks of the drop and setting safety in a very challenging environment. There's only so much a person can do when when faced with an incredibly more powerful adversary.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote