Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-14-2005   #31
i'll chime in

I live in boulder and have been in BOC countless times. I'd say maybe half of these times I've found what I needed. I'd say it's like having Suterland lumber as a backup for hardware shopping compared to say something like McGuckins. Sometimes when I'm desperate to get something, BOC will have it, often not. There was a guy that worked there that was nice to me and did me a couple of favors; don't know his name or if he still works there. Usually, I would have to walk by the office in back or look in way back to get some help. That attitude seemed kind of the standard. I have appreciated their canoe rentals and friends have rented boats there to go on trips with us. That is pretty hard to find.

Yeah, pretty much like having a Sutherland lumber for smaller hardware around. The reality side is that boating is seasonal and it's a fine line to run a store like that--thus the snow side of things. That's why a store like the MOuntain shop in Ft. Collins does so well. It does the whole thing and it's kind of exciting to look at all the cools stuff when you go in there.

It must be a difficult business. Major suggestion would be retihinking of inventory and having at least a couple of great sales people.

danab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #32
Denver, Colorado
My first kayaking experience was on Deckers years ago with rental gear from BOC when they were at the old location. I called to reserve 4 or 5 boats and gear. A friend called to change some of the boats I'd reserved and they had no record of me calling. He made a new reservation and when we showed up Saturday, BOC had no record of either of us calling so we ended up with a fleet of sh_t and some antique equipment. From the other posts, it sounds like there might still be an organizational problem.

You are not going to get many seasoned boaters to leave the shop(s) that they are comfortable with at this point. When boaters are new, they will tend to stick with the shop that they had their first good experience. I've been pretty loyal to my local shop and don't even shop around when I need something new. I never experienced the attitude that 3 pages worth of boaters had a problem with, but that is not going to help you with beginners.

We also had to keep the gear until Monday because they were closed on Sundays. Seemed like odd hours for a weekend focused sport. Is that still the case?

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #33
I'll chime in with good and bad. First off, I know it's hard to run a business in boulder due to higher overhead, etc. that seems to explain alot of it to me, as I would say across the board the prices are higher on new items. I appreciate the gear swaps, that's a plus.

I am a deal whore, if someone will cut me some slack I'm way more friendly toward the idea, even if it may be small. Last year I bought my lowfat skins there because the guy on the floor had the autonomy to decide on the spot to give me a deal. basically matched REI's price on the 100mm for 110mm's, and then allowed me to change out the rubber tip hooks (as what kind of ski needs 110mm skins and has a really sharp narrow pointy tip?!?!?) this kind of recognition of the details really pleased me and keeps me coming back.

the demo days on boulder creek will do wonders for your shop, getting in a new boat is dangerous to the wallet, and getting to try them for free makes it that much easier to get the jones on!!

best of luck you guys!!
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #34
Send a message via AIM to mud0shark Send a message via Yahoo to mud0shark
BOC is fine

BOC is a little bit unorganized but what boater shop isn't? As far as people saying that have "elitist attitudes" that's bullshit those guys are way more layed back than the rest of the Yuppies up here in boulder. BOC is the only real paddle shop in boulder so as a resident I support them! you should too!
mud0shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #35
How many free RPM rentals did Eric offer you for that statement?

Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote