Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-08-2005   #21
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I've never really had personal problems at BOC and enjoy going in, but I too find that there is a lack of selection. BOC could use more selection on everything - river shoes, books, dry tops, paddles, paddle pants and helmets. The things I buy there are stickers, nose plugs and foam - not the sort of things to keep a shop in business.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't shop at BOC. This mostly stems from personal accounts of people I know who work there. I think the primary problem is the management, which I will say has changed in recent years, and the people they decide to hire. They are often either completely new to kayaking and know nothing about it, or are knowledgeable and tend to ignore you.

I know that a primary perk of working at a store is the pro-deals you get, but there is a reason they give them to you, so that you talk well about the company and make the shop look professional. Its not so that you can have cool stuff and ignore the customers.

Anyways, I think the people who were causing the problem have since left. However, I think that I will continue to take my business elsewhere, as I have had tremendously better experience elsewhere. If it means anything to you all, the University of Colorado Boulder Kayak Club stopped using BOC as its club shop and now instead uses Confluence Kayak in Denver, because while BOC screwed up orders, was uncooperative, and just hard to work with, confluence has been very much up to the task. Me personaly I go to the mountains for my stuff.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #23
Boat Donation

What is the deal with the boat donation? Several people have mentioned that it's confusing. It might be helpful to use this space to tell us how it works. Oh, if you need more instructors then I might know somebody....

JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #24
Boat donation & new boat in-store deals

Ok, folks, here is the deal on boat donations: Depending on the boat & condition, you can receive an in-store credit in exchange for your "donated" boat. This boat is then passed on to our school and/or kids program. The kids that complete a class with us have an option to keep one of the donated boats for one year of use - to help them deicide and also encourage them in the sport. If they decide to stick with it, we let them keep the boat, if they haven't been using it, then we take it back and the cycle begins again.

New boat deals: Right now, the buyer has 2 options to take advantage of when purchasing a new boat. One, they can purchase the new baot at the advertised price - which reflects a $100 instant rebate, example: advertised $899.95, actual $999.95, or they can purchase the boat at actual price and receive a $200 in-store gift certificate which can be used on anything, for anything, or even sold or given to someone else; example, actual $999.95 & receive gift cert. $200.

Hope that answers questions... I really do appreciate all of you who have taken the time to respond. And, honestly, all of the issues that have been brought to my attention, I was already aware of in my short time here. We are striving as a company to remedy these issues and provide you all with the best customer service and competitive prices. Sorry, that sounded "salesman-ish..." but true. Being a local business, we want to known and recommended by our locals.
m0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #25
Salida, Colorado

who does own BOC these days?
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #26
Eric Bader has always owned the BOC and still does.
Old 04-10-2005   #27
Salida, Colorado
I remember posts from years back that he had sold BOC...

did that happen and it fell thru or was it just a reorganization?
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #28
I guess I don't quite understand your question. Did what happen or fall through?, could you please expand so I can answer appropriately.
Old 04-10-2005   #29
Since I am new to the area I do not have a long history with the BOC. However, I did buy some new boats and gear there recently and I felt the people treated me well and provided good costomer service. I also dealt with Eric on several of those purchases and I found him easy to talk to. Overall I was happy with the BOC. Maybe they have had some employees in the past that were less than helpful, but the employees I met were friendly and helpful. Since I moved from Oregon my only complaint is the high sales tax (ouch!), but that is not the fault of the BOC. I would also like to see a larger selection on items such as paddles, PFDs, helmets, etc. I will not complain about the boat selection because I was able to find the boat I wanted.

I have no problems with shopping at the BOC in the future as long as the service is good and the prices are good. My experiences over the last month have been positive.

Keep up the good work!
h2ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005   #30
I think that there are a lot of good comments included within this thread. I too have done my fair share of shopping at BOC and my experiences have been mixed. I think that is the key, and the lesson to be learned from this thread. BOC has the potential to service a large part of the Front Strange boating community, but there needs to be more consistancy. I think the comment about Mcgukins was spot on. People like to deal with friendly faces who know more than they do about the stores products. I think one major problem with BOC has been the "sell sell sell" attitude. Instead of entering the store feeling confident that the sales people were going to get me the gear/deal that was best for me, i have often ben made to feel like a sale, rather than a fellow boater.

Another problem i have had with BOC is there selection. It seems to me that most of their gear is limited to only a few companies, there needs to be more variety.

I wish BOC the best because i think it has the potential to be a valued boating resource for the front range.

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote