Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-05-2005   #11
I would say that I have had both good and bad service, the thing that allways irked me about BOC is that you go to the swaps and various sales and for instance a year ago I went to the winter clearance spring swap to check out your winter rental gear, BOC was selling the avy beacon rental fleet for full retail price, that was supposed to be a deal? buying a used rental beacon for the same price as a new one elsewhere? I've had a lot of similar gear issues, however I will say that any/all leasons that I have taken there have been excellent.

cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #12
I'm in Boulder but I do a lot of on-line ordering or shopping while elsewhere kayaking -- or if in Boulder, I go to the other shop - the in-stock selection is less, but they are more welcoming and very helpful - they have messed up an order on a paddle and the owner apologized and gave us a deal on it to make up for it. I feel much more welcomed at that shop -- its just more down-to-earth, they quickly learned my name... BOC is okay, I haven't had problems with them, but they are sterile more than anything I think.

I did take a class through BOC about 5 years ago and it was well-run with good atmosphere overall, but it was tacky that instructors hooked up with their students during the 3-day class. Just for that I would recommend a different, more professional school.

Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #13
I've been buying boating gear at boc for past 10 years. I've always had a positive experience. Theie boats for kids program is the best way i know of for getting a good deduction off the price of a new boat. Donate an old worthless boat, like a mr. clean to the program and they give you something like $200 dollars in store credit. Plus the boat goes to a good cause, possibly helping kids get into boating that otherwise wouldln't get a chance because of the start up costs. I don't know about everyone who has worked there, but i haven't run into any employees exhibiting the elitist snobbery mentioned. Eric, the owner, certainly doesn't fit into that catagory.
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #14
Wow, I guess you got more responses than I thought, although I'm not surprised that most of them are negative.

Although I have to agree with others that the training classes are pretty good and fun. Funny that Suze mentioned it because I too remember an intructor hooking up with a student about 5 years ago, although at the time it was the student who was hot for the teacher. Nice
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have always had positive experiences with the BOC. The one thing that would be helpful (though I understand difficult) would be getting help that you could enncourage (compensate) to stick around for a little longer. I rarely recognize the face behind the counter.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #16
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
GE posted that the BOC accepts boat donations and gives in-store credit. Is this still going on? I have a couple boats that need to be donated. This sounds like a plus for BOC.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #17
Yes, we do offer store credits with boat donations. The boats are then passed down tokids who do our classes; they get to use them for their first year of learning to encourge them to get into the sport, then if they decide to stick with it, they get to keep the boat. Feel free to give Eric a call @ the shop, he'd be happy to give an idea on numbers and such. Thanks for your inquiry. Thanks, Malia
m0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #18
Boulder, Colorado

My opinion is the "elitist, snobbish attitude" should not be a problem any more- the one who I think is being referred to is no longer at the shop.

the boating for kids boat donation program is great, though I found it confusing.

I have had great experiences in BOC classes- I got my roll finally after trying for 5 years unsuccessfully!!!

I found that it depends on who you talk to and what day it is with regards to attitudes encountered at the shop. There have been days where people there have been very friendly and helpful, and there have been days that people seem to be grumpy and rude. It depends on the day.
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #19
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I had many great experiences when the BOC was in the OLD shop near Pearl and the Foothills Pkwy. The selection was better then and the customer service was wonderful. Whne they moved some new blood came in and the place went down hill. I will still go in occassionally and find the prices are high in relation to others which I would still pay if the customer care was even present. One last topic is the selection on most everything is extremely limited. Bottom line is if you could change out all of the "bad customer care givers" and start from ground zero it is possible to sell overpriced gear with a poor selection. Start there.

Matt Booth
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #20
Superior, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Lurch
My girlfriend and I took your classes last year when we starting out and were very impressed with your instructors and always had a good experience when we went into the shop. But we wound up buying a boat from another store because BOC didn't carry the boats we wanted. I realize it's hard and not very efficient but you should look into expanding your boat selection. It might be just my observed impression and not reality but I think the other Front Range stores carry far more boats.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote