Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-21-2005   #21
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The Ocoee in Ducktown, TN has got to qualify as a playpark....they re-worked the entire river for all paddlers and introduced some sweet play-spots.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #22
The park in Pueblo was funded as a fish ladder from the Corps of Engineers Section 206, aquatic ecosystem restoration. Fish would get caught in pools below the dam and then bake when the sun cooked the levee. There was also a question if the Arkansas River Darter would be able to access historic range in Wildhorse Creek? with the passage.

The Park over Price-Stubb Dam (Palisade) on the Colorado is also a fish passage funded by the Upper Colorado River Endangered Fish Recovery Program. A Dam upstream (Highline) and downtream (GVIC) have already completed fish passage so the Price Stubb will open fish passage all the way to Gleenwood Canyon?

Vail is planning on improving their park, just upstream of a Gold Medal Fishery (Gore Creek) and Avon is looking into potential on the Eagle River. Frisco wants one on the Ten Mile Creek where big fish move up from Lake Dillon.

Please put me on your list for a copy of the report. Jason.Carey@RiverRestoration.org

RiverRestoration.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #23
Coeurdalene, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Spokane, Washington

will construct a park on the Spokane River in 2008.
shawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #24
There's rio vista dam on the San Marcos river in San Marcos, TX. Boaters created what has turned out to be a pretty sweet little year-round play hole by altering a dam structure.

In the winter, boaters build a slalom course on the Guadalupe river. Not really a play park since they mainly use natural features, and only "build" a few temporary eddies. Still, it is a very nice course.

Longhorn dam in Austin is an awsome wave/hole, but was not created for boaters. Just acidentally turned out to be a sweet spot at certain water levels. Nicer wave than anything I've seen in CO so far!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #25
Missoula, Reno

Brennan's Wave in Missoula--done. surfed it last year. pretty fun wave

Reno, NV has a solid park, too
outdoorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #26
Photographer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You can see photos and get info on the Pueblo Whitewater Park if you click here----> Pueblo Boating Beta

As someone who has spent a good deal of time in the park I can tell you that I often see fish jump and go both up AND down stream in the park.

Pueblo Paddlers
"You gotta fight for your right to paddle!"
bkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #27
Leadvillian, Colorado
The Tuckasegee and the Nantatahala both have improvised "hand-made" features on them.

Is it safe to say that your using a very liberal definition of "natural" stream bed?

Just asking because I had to chuckle when I read the Ocoee listed in that group.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #28
Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
Sacondaga River, NY - I think Gary Lacy was a part of this one. The Park itself I heard was not that good (not enough money to do the job right I beleive), but they did do the work. There is an outfitter company (The SOC) that is right at the take out and can probably be called for more beta. I have yet to see it since I don't go back to NY much anymore, but the word was out last year (summer).
Saranac River, NY (Plattsburgh, NY) I know of a bunch of talk was goin on about one in Downtown Plattsburgh, on the river about a mile upstream from Lake Champlain, this was when I attend Plattsburgh State back in the 90's. Don't know if anything ever came about from it but the local business's loved the idea.
" ...this is the hardest sport I've ever tried!!",E. Brown, 2003
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #29
Avon co

Ribbon cutting ceremony was last night.
EagleCountyPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #30
Avon whitewater park

bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote