please help to choose correct play boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2016   #1

Montreal, quebec
please help to choose correct play boat

Hi,
I paddle on and off for serval years and use "wave sport diesel 65" for R3+ and creaking
to have more fun surfing local waves/ run R2 and improve technical skills
I want to get a play boat
I tried old "dragon rossi stinger" several time, but it did not work for me (hard to roll and control)

please help to choose correct play boat, not 2016 models but still modern
I am 6 feet, weight 187 pounds and show size 11

Thank you
Alex

Alex

alexG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #2

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Consider a Jackson Fun. Production years 2010-15.
buckmanriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #3

Centerville, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Hey Alex,
I've got almost the same measurements as you, 6 feet - 175 lbs - size 11 shoes, and I paddle a Jackson Rockstar Medium (2012 model I think?). Awesome playboat, it's definitely worth a look, any of Jackson's playboats are really.

If you want something a little cheaper that's just as good check out the Dagger Jitsu, I paddled my friends Jitsu once and it's also a fantastic playboat.

No need to get the latest model if you're just getting into it, just make sure you get a boat that fits you well, and see if you can take it out for a test drive on the water first. It will definitely take some getting used to going from a Diesel to a boat with a planing hull and harder edges, and some people say rolling a playboat is harder, but stick with it though man, practice a lot and you'll get there! PLayboating and surfing is awesome, glad you're getting into it!
WWRE Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #4

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
You might also try a Jed, but also consider how far you want to go into playboating. The Jed, Rockstar and Jitsu are all aggressive playboats that don't river run as well as something like a Fun or Loki.

As far as the edges on the Rockstar, I don't find it edgy at all. It tends to slide a lot compared to my Burn, which leads me to a question or clarification.

When talking about creek boats or river runners, when people talk about edges, they talk about the chines and the sharp edge that allows you to hold your line while carving. When people talk about edgy playboats, they usually are talking about how they slice into the water for stern squirts and stalls.

What is the proper term for these differences, because I find it confusing to talk to people who switch up the names for different qualities?
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Allstar

A Jackson AllStar(Last Gen) would also be a great boat. Very comfortable at your height and weight, plus faster and easier to catch waves than the Rock Star and will still do every trick.
Old 07-13-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Golden River sports does a free demo night on Thursdays as long as Clear Creek is running. You could try several different boats in an evening and get an idea of what you like.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #7

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
You might also try a Jed, but also consider how far you want to go into playboating. The Jed, Rockstar and Jitsu are all aggressive playboats that don't river run as well as something like a Fun or Loki.

As far as the edges on the Rockstar, I don't find it edgy at all. It tends to slide a lot compared to my Burn, which leads me to a question or clarification.

When talking about creek boats or river runners, when people talk about edges, they talk about the chines and the sharp edge that allows you to hold your line while carving. When people talk about edgy playboats, they usually are talking about how they slice into the water for stern squirts and stalls.

What is the proper term for these differences, because I find it confusing to talk to people who switch up the names for different qualities?
Everyone probably has their own take on this but boats with hard edges for carving or holding and angle on a wave, I would call "edgy." Boats with low profile bows and sterns that can slice a mean cartwheel or squirt, I would call "slicey."

For example, I used to paddle a blisstick mystic creeker. It had defined edges, and could hold a surf or ferry angle well so I would call it edgy. But due to volume/ shape it certainly would not slice through the water when put on edge so I would not call it slicey.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Just looked at your location.

You might see if Mountain Equipment Coop does demos so you can try several boats.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
The Pyranha Varun is a pretty good beginner boat from what I have been told! Supposedly easy to role!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
NorwayTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #10

Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
Define what you want to do with playboating.

There are a couple of different levels of suggestions here like river running playboats and more serious park and play playboats.
What do you want to do with your playboating? Use it for surfing and river running? What rivers will you run?
Or are you more interested in going straight to a series of great features like one of the playparks? For example, BV or Salida features that offer lots of moves like looping, Phonix Monkeys, cartwheeling...

If you want to loop or do the more progressive freestyle moves at play parks you're going to need a more progressive play boat. But if you are more interested in river running, surfing, stern squirts but without the need for progressive freestyle then a river runner freestyle hybrid would be your choice.

Once you decide between progressive freestyle boat or river runner playful hybrid then you begin choosing a brand and model. And that is a very opinionated topic. I will say Jackson Kayak has stayed true to it's roots in freestyle. But each brand has a great freestyle representative in the class. With so many great designs many are deciding on outfitting and what feels comfortable.

Differences between river running play and more core play boating play. I still coach freestyle today and would only take out a river runner play boat on exactly that river run instructional days. For more core play boating I want something like a Jed or Allstar or Rockstar. The shorter the boat the easier the loop but also the slower it is for surfing glassy waves. That's another discussion.

Keep Kayaking.
Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote