Old 06-13-2006   #11
, MA
Maybe this has already been done, but have you talked to the landowner? If talking does not appear to be working, you could mention the thoughts listed in the posts above, that if someone did get hurt, he could be liable, or altering the waterway could be an issue for flooding reasons. If you haven't talked to this person yet, it would probably be easier to give that a shot first rather than going straight to the higher ups, maybe he just didn't think about us little guys.

Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #12
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Cub Scout Leader

I like the current line of thinking. Remember this guy is a cub scout leader, I doubt his intentions are malicious. This could turn into a really positive experience for everyone. First, how safe is it for cubscouts (age <10) to be crossing the NSV on a log. What if a member of the boating community volunteers to talk to his scouts about swiftwater safety (i.e. not tubing high water class IV) and if others offer to help build a bridge system or structure that is safer for everyone. I'd be happy to do both.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #13
While I have not run this section ... yet. I'd be there to help get a bridge up for him and scouts.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #14
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I was out for a bit... but yeah.. the discussion is going good. I am going to try to discuss with the land owner first and go from there. These are great points that I am sure he didn't consider.

if anyone else has a good idea...please chime in. If not I am going to start into this asap.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #15
The Taylor River (Gunnison) had a similar situation this spring. The land owner (Harmel's Guest Ranch) dropped 3 trees on either side of the river and let them fall right together to create a river wide strainer. No getting around it. This was an obvious malicious act to give their guests exclusive private waters to fish -- although the excuse is that it had to do with some electric/telephone wires and it was the only "safe" place to drop them.

Anyway, it is an often commercialy rafted stretch of water (which I think helped) and a rafting company as well as a few private sector boaters called land management and the sherrif's office. From what i heared the Sherriff talked to them and they had a few days (or maybe a week) to clear the channel.

It is now clear.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote