Old 08-03-2005   #1
playboating texas

are there any good playboating spots in the san antonio area?

kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #2
I'm moving to dallas soon also i know there is sorta play boating dallas but looking for a good crew to boat with in the south of dallas
my e-mail address is if you know anybody who boats down there let me know thanks

Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #3
There's good playboatin on the Guadalupe below Canyon dam near New Braunfels, 30 to 45 min from SA, but this year has sucked for rain, and they're only releasing around 200. Hueco springs rapid is great from 2300 to 3500, Common street is good 2000 to 6000, and the hole downstream from fourth crossing is world class at 5000. Right now the best bet is the wave at Rio Vista dam in San Marcos, 45 min from SA, on Thursday after the sun goes, the tubers clear out, and we kick out the lights and install El Tumelo, which changes the wave from so-so, lucky to spin and not flush, to a cartwheelin, splitwheelin, loopable hole. We tried a strobe light last week and it was trippy. Longhorn dam in Austin on the Colorado river is badass 3000 to 5000 but lately they've only been surging 2000 through. If it rains, there's a playpark in Fort Worth, and if it really rains north of SA, the Pedernales has great play from 3000 to 10,000, and 10,000 to 50,000+ is a highwater rollercoaster. Mexican creek, 30 min, has some good play at certain levels, although running the drops like Chingasos, The Big Enchilada, and Shove It is more fun. Unfortunately, its dry right now. Check out or buy Texas Whitewater by Steve Daniel for more info. Good luck.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #4
There are a few of us in Big D. D as in Dry as a bone right now. Rainy season is on it's way though. We head to Arkansas or the Hill Country quite often if anything is running. About 4 hours either way. Follow Deepstroke's advise and tap into for some local action.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #5
There's actually a good play wave below the Longhorm dam in Austin (below town lake) just downstream from I-35. I can't remember the flows but think it was driven by water realeasing downstream for ag needs and ran late afternoons early evenings.

There's also a play hole in San Marcos at the Rio Vista Dam (not great but something to play in).

Pick up Texas Whitewater by Steve Daniels. Probably the best book for WW in Texas. In fact, you can have my copy. Theres no way in hell I'm going back down there. I paddle more in a month here than I did in four years down there. Good Luck
mango_yaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #6
WOW, so good to know. I have just been transfered to the Houston area and I have made no plans to take the play boat, might have to re-think. I am not familiar with the state as I have only been twice now but how far from Houston is all of the referenced play spots in previous posts?
Pete&Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #7
Two and a half to three and a half hours.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #8
get use to low water or the ocean

From San Antonio you will have two options. One is to drive north to the San Marcos River, Guadelupe River, or the various spots in Austin and you will find something to paddle (usually low). These spots are usually best in the winter and since it is Texas it is usually not cold (50-60F). The other option is going down to Padre Island which is just south of Chorpus Christi and surf in the ocean. I went down there once and hit it when they had 10 ft waves!! It was great. Your best bet to find people is to go north to one of the places mentioned above or find out where and when the nearest club meeting take place. I used to live in Dallas and we would either go to the Guadelupe or the Cossatot River in SW Ark (probably too far to drive from SA). Good luck finding water.
peterswhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #9
Pete, and Val, oh please tell me it ain't so! I lived in Houlston when going to optometry school, and drove to the hill country every weekend in the winter (that's when the water is the best). Depending on where you are in houston, the guad (you will be bored there unless it is high water) will actually take you about 4 hours to get to. At high water there are some great play spots! A little less time to rio vista dam in San Marcos, but that isn't worth it unless it is really cold and the tubers aren't there, and even then it is marginal. Hitting longhorn dam in Austin would be right up your alley, but my connections down there told me that they changed their releases so it may never form again. Bummer!

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #10
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
The wave below longhorn dam is pretty good, but the water quality sucks. My mom lives in houston and my dad lives in Austin. Your best bet is to invest in a boat and a wakeboard. You'll be completely frustrated with the lack of Kayaking opportunities. THe mountain biking in the hill country is awesome so come prepared.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote