Old 08-06-2005   #11
Don't know when you are going to be here but the surf in Galveston can be sweet in the winter and isn't far depending on where you are in Houston. Be glad to go with you and show you some of the spots. Down at a paddle shop in Clear Lake called Wind Surf and Paddle Sports in Kemah. Other than Hurricane Dennis, it has been a very uneventful paddle season. Very dry. Give the shop a call at 281-538-8889.

If you really need the adrenaline, try Kite Boarding this fall.

Doug Poudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #12
Yes, Jennifer, it is true! I have been transfered with work to Deer Park just South of Houston. We will be there for three years completing a $300 million dollar project. I am looking for all of the positive things in this and attempting to make the best. The info is greatly appreciated and I am trying to get a trip together before I go on Sept. 2nd. Val unfortunately is already down there. Talk to you soon.

Pete&Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005   #13
rio vista

Hey Kiwigirl,
I'm in San Antonio. When the water is low, I surf at rio vista. I usually go on sat morn. Let me know if ya want to meet up. See ya
sparkyyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #14
Master's Student
Posts: 11 (link), although unruly at times, their enthusiasm is unrivaled.

If you are more into racing, Red River Racing (link) run by Ben Kvanli is a good place to look.

While on the Paddle Texas page, check out Mexican Creek photos. You would be surprised this is actually in Texas.
knu2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #15

Hi I live about 22 minutes outside of Houston (Tomball) and I've found that the closest place to go is Hildago Falls on the Brazos river, although its very wide and if you take a swim, which is very possible, its gonna be a long ( and cold, as it is best in the winter) swim. Other places are Hueco Springs on the Guad and Longhorn Dam on the San Marcos. For some of the best whitewater in America, try the North Carolina region. They have the Upper Ocoee ('96 Olympic Race site, with one of the neatest and nastiest holes,) they also have the Chattooga. Colorado has some great whitewater as well, Numbers, Frog Run, Royal Gorge, Taos Box, Browns Canyon, and many more.
the chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #16
wait wait wait, there's whitewater in Colorado? Never would have thought.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #17
looking buisy
Hey one of you named Grover? If so I'm the guy you boated wit during christmas week 2004. i'm looking forward to another vacation in the New Brounfels area over the holidays. Lets go drink some lonestars and talk smack. Marv
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #18
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
While Chupa's right-on about NC whitewater, his post does need a couple of leittle re-directs. The Upper Ocoee's actually in TN, but it is *very close* to the NC border.... and the middle Ocoee's in TN, too! (feel like I have to represent, being here in TN and all)

The Chatooga's in GA-- north GA, but Georgia nonetheless. Section 2, 3, and 4 are all in on the Chatooga right now, BTW... so if anyone's headed east, it should be worth your trip, no matter your skill level (Section 2 = class II whitewater, Section 3 = class III with a IV or two thrown in for good measure, section 4.... it's reputation precedes it!).

NC is a bit dry right now, but the Nantahala and French Broad always seem to run. As for other rivers, NC's got the Pigeon Dries, Raven Fork, the Green, the Catawba, the Santeelah, the Watauga, Horsepature, and everyone's newest favorite, the Cheoah-- and those are just a start! If you're interested in running NC whitewater, though, I'd highly advise picking up a copy of North Carolina Rivers and Creeks, by Leland Davis ( We're using it as our Bible down here these days-- yeah, who'd have thought, a bunch of southerners trading in their real Bibles for the whitewater versions instead...??
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #19
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Although a lot of people would like to claim the Chatooga as "Georgia's" river. It actually shares the border between GA and South Carolina. I like to think of it as a Georgia river, but you can't take it away from those south cak-a-lakians.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote