Old 08-12-2013   #1
basalt, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Play spots Middle Roaring Fork

New to paddling and living in Basalt. Looking for play spots (waves, holes, whatever) between Old Snowmass and Catherine Store on the upper/middle RF. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Quick search I could only find this from an old post-

"The roaring fork is probably the best play in the area. As far as park and play goes you might check out the hole on river left 200 yards downstream of the westbank bridge (where is this?). It should be good at this level. Slaughter house has one good hole at this level and kahuna wave (where is this?)is not bad. Woody creek toothache (and where is this?) also has some play."

scomagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #2
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
There is a play wave in the section between Old Snowmass and Catherine's store but is only comes in at high water. I could not tell you exactly where it is because I have never played it.

There is a really good cartwheel and loop hole between Catherine's store and the Carbondale bridge. but again, it needs to be high water. I think it is good around 3,000.

The wave on slaughterhouse is not worth the drive. That run is very fun with water but it is not really a play run.

There is a wave on Shoshone called the all day wave. It is good for front surf and spins.

The Glenwood Whitewater park is your best bet right now. But the hole is too sticky and steep for most people. The wave is ok.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #3
basalt, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Cool thanks for the beta. I looked at the GWood wave last weekend and it looked like it was worth trying out. Sounds like all in all there are not a whole lot of play spots on the RF. Looking forward to next year when Slaughter is running again, hopefully I will be ready for it.
scomagg is offline   Reply With Quote