Old 05-29-2007   #1
conifer, Colorado
Platte-Mineral to Confluence

Ran this on Sunday with a friend and our kids. I was surprised at the level and amount of drops/hydraulics in there. We had to portage a low head dam near the end and also two big drops one a IV plus and the other probably more like solid V drop with huge keeper almost river wide-probably over 10 foot drop. Anyone else done this at 1700 plus and did you portage? The Class V a mile or so after Union Chutes has a sneak on river left with a big green tongue and large hole below it. Probably could have run but worried about ferrying from our river right scout and consequences if we didn't make it.

The kids where also interested in the Urban River Trolls and their shanties which frequent the banks.

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #2
Yea, I've done it. I wouldn't call that 10 foot flume class V, since the consequences are so low, but I wouldn't call it family friendly either. Yea, that low head dam at the power plant is a killer at these flows. They plan to remove it, but I haven't heard anything happen.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #3
conifer, Colorado
Consequences seemed huge at 1750 cfs...death! What level did you run it at Basil?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #4
I assume you are talking about the 10 foot drop. I ran it at 600 and it was pretty friendly. But, I can't imagine the bottom of the flume being that sticky at 1750 cfs and if you swim, then you have a long flat section to recover.

The dam however had the recirculation line about 10' back, so if you get stuck in the recirculation, you are dead. It's funny how simple 2 foot drops are marked on the river with severe warning signs and then you get to the dam with no warning at all. The only reason more people don't die in that is that the water is rarely so high.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote