Old 04-02-2014   #1
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Planning a Mexico trip?

Like many others, I took the leap to buy a plane ticket to Mexico this winter to explore the rivers of Veracruz. Three weeks in December made for the perfect length of stay in the area.

Long story short: big waterfalls, steep creeks, beautiful jungle mountains, and nice people. But you've probably already heard/seen all of that from the epic paddling vids out there... So instead of a trip report telling the same old story, I wrote up some "tips and tricks."

Flying, rental cars, lodging, food, sickness (the stomach kind), sickness (the whitewater kind), and a big ol' photo gallery at the end. Check it out!

Trip Report (and Guide) to Paddling Veracruz, Mexico | Blister Gear Review – Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest and in-depth reviews of outdoor sports equipment on the planet.

Photo below: firing off Tomata Falls during the trip.

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Awesome write up David! Could you provide a few specifics on the makeshift rack? A group of us are going to Oregon soon and we need some plans.

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #3
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Miller Time- Here was our strategy:

We brought 2 6 foot dowels in our paddle bags. To elevate the dowels from the car roof, we rolled a couple of beach towels up, taped them so they wouldn't come unrolled, and placed them on the edge of the car roof. Then the dowels go on top of the towels like cross bars. From there, we put camp straps around the dowels and through the inside of the car. Tighten them down and things stay pretty well attached.

Could use something besides towels, just anything soft enough that it won't damage the roof, but will keep the dowels high up.

After you put boats on top, double check underneath so make sure there are a good couple inches of space between boats and roof, cause the dowels will bend a bit. And the more boats you want to put on top, the more space you need to have. Could experiment with "cross bars" that are more rigid than dowels.

We experimented a bit with other ways to protect the roof as well. One method was to place a cheap bed sheet underneath the whole contraption to prevent scratches. We also tried foam incorporating pool noodles under the boat. Get creative.

The biggest flaw is definitely that water comes through the doors in heavy rains, but I'm sure some creativity can overcome that problem too.

We ended up with a couple of scratches cause we didn't get our dowels up quite high enough off the roof.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote