Old 03-15-2010   #1
North Wales, United Kingdom
Paddling Since: 2009
Pins and needles in my foot

I have a Pyranha BURN which I am very happy with,the only problem is after about 15 to 20 mins of being in it my right foot either gets pins and needles or it goes to sleep feels dead and I either have'to stop and take my right leg out of the kayak or take my knee from the knee brace and stetch my leg till it goes.It only happens in my right leg my left one is fine.Before I had the Burn I had an AMMO and it was exactly the same in that.The funny thing about all this is I have a Liquidlogic playboat and I can sit in that for long periods of time and I don't get any bother at all.The reason I'm putting this thread up is to see if anyone knows what this is or has the same problem and is there anything I can do to cure or help it as I don't really want to sell the boat because I know the BURN is one of the best Kayaks you can get and would'nt have a clue what to get thats equally as good.I spent a lot of time outfitting the boat and it fits me great it's really comfy for me until this problem starts and it's beggining to ba a pain now as I want to improve my skills but it's a pain when you have'to stop every 15 to 20 mins any ideas anyone

Michelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Adjust or slim down the pads/outfitting around your hips... I was told there is a nerve (I can't remember what it is called) and it causes your leg to go to sleep. This happened to me in the beginning of last summer and I moved it up a little and it was 100% better. At least worth a try.

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
jen84 hit it on the head with the sugguestion of raising the hip pad. try that it should help lots, and streach your right leg and hip, or both legs and hips for that matter. these ideas help.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #4
pnw, Washington
Sciatic nerve is the nerve and good advice above.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Happens to me every year...hell it can happen one day and not the next with me. I've found it's all in the hip pads, I place them as high as I can and forward as much as possible....and then sometimes it just takes wiggling around a stretching to get it right.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #6
Golden, Colorado
My legs and feet go to sleep in my Burn too... but they pretty much do that in every boat. I like them tight and I guess the penalty for that is pinched nerves. I pop my knees out of the thigh braces when I get to a flat section and the numbness goes away in a few seconds.

The more limber I am, the fewer problems I have with numbness. I do stretches for my hip flexibility and that helps a lot. If I jump into my boat at the putin without 5 minutes of stretching I pay for it with almost immediate numbness.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote