Old 04-30-2007   #1
Seattle, Washington

Well, I vertically bow pinned my boat for the first time this weekend on icicle creek. I really lucked out with it being rather shallow where it happened (water was just pouring over my lower back).

My main thoughts at first was not falling any lower into this drop than I already was. Luckily I was able to get out an on a boulder that my boat was wedged against. Friends were able to haul the boat off without too much trouble and I took an intentional swim through some drops to an eddy with ropes waiting. Ended up having a great day on the creek luckily.

But it definitely made my more aware of the potential out there for more serious pin situations and how to get out of them. Just curious who all out there has been pinned and how did you get out of it?

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #2
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Scary stuff Dave, glad you made it out unscathed.

I don't get pinned I just wrap around the rocks...ok so maybe I have been able to pin my raft as well..

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #3
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
It happened to me recently on the sloppiest little normally-a-no-brainer sort of drop. Actually, I landed it flat, right on line, but the backwash had very successfully obscured an underwater seive and the hydraulic pulled me right into it. Since I was flat I was able to lean into it and punch it with my paddle to knock myself out. Regardless, It was a heck of an eye-opener, especially since the water was coming down on my shoulders and I wasn't moving.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #4
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I have had 2 particular cases that apply.....
1- Pinned vertically with my bow sticking up in the air: Basically came around the corner and was heading in to a sieve and attempted to boof over the sieve into flowing water below.....pinned vertically and violently and luckily my stern propped up on some rocks. My body was alomost out of the water but the boat began to shift and sink. I basically climbed out onto nearby rocks.

2 - Pinned vertically with my bow submerged: Hit an undercut (that was submerged (barely) and pinned. I un-cocked my legs from the thigh braces immediately and tried to pull my knees toward my chest and get my feet on my seat without pulling my skirt. Then pulled the skirt and immediately stood up on the seat and jumped up to a nearby rock.

Both cases i was able to avoid the swim and both cases had a hell of a time trying to retrieve my boat.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote