Old 05-01-2006   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Piney Veterans

This creek doesn't get talked about much.

Can anyone who's done it tell me a little bit about it?

Is it a manky wood-fest? Does it have sweet clean drops?

Does it compare to any other runs in CO?

Overall, is it a more forgiving run for the grade, or a punisher if you're not dialed in?

Lot's of bling stuff, or can you keep moving pretty good without a guide?

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I used to fish it when I was a kid,before the trophy homes and fishing clubs.It was a big wild awesome place. I remember a couple of short gorges and the CRC beta says it's pretty manky and non-stop ( class V? ).I think the top section below Piney Lake is the steepest section and then it is interspersed with meadows and mini-gorges lower down.Lots of private property on lower section.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #3
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Piney River?

If you are asking about the Piney River, north of Vail. I have a little bit of beta. There aren't a whole lot of people who have run it or run it frequently. I personally have only run the first two miles or so.

This could be a good season to run it. It reallly hasn't been run more than a couple of times (if that) since '95 or '96.

It's a long run. Get an early start. I started late in the day (noon) in '95 and realized at our pace it'd be easier and safer to walk back to the put-in rather than keep heading towards state bridge. Set up shuttle the night before and camp at the put in or stay in Vail, or try to find a shuttle driver willing to hang out at state bridge most of the day.

Lot's of wood in the run. It's in a wilderness area and also runs thru private land. It's hard to keep clean of wood. The road is snowed in during the low water spring months. To clean it out in the fall might be kinda futile as the winter would bring more deadfall. Also, seeing as there haven't been many runs and we've had low water over the last several seasons, i'm sure it's well restocked with lumber.

There are lots of mellow stretches in it, interspersed with steep continuous class IV+ to V sections (especially in the first couple miles) or vice versa. I hear that it gets somewhat easier toward the end of the run.

Try asking Gordon Banks, Dave Eckhardt or the Chaimberlains. I believe they ran it in '95 or '96.

I think it might be best to catch it on the way down after peak, in the hopes that high water flushes out all the timber and the snow has melted from the banks.

These are just my thoughts after seeing the top couple of miles. Of course it was quite a few years ago. Now my impressions of it might be different. It could very well be a great mission.

I'm thinking about it myself this season.

Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've never done the Piney, but heard it was subject to the same weather (micro-burst?) that knocked so many trees into Rock Creek before our run back in 2000.

I've heard rumors that some of that has been cleaned out. CAn anyone confrim?
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So is it in true Wilderness area, like as in no chainsaws? If it's not buried under snow I'd like to take a fishing pole and the Stihl and go have a look sometime.

When do you think a guy could begin to access that area?
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #6
Ahh yes. The Piney. It is an absolutely beautiful, gnarly, sick, wood fest! One of the big problems is access. Since we last got on it the problem has been that the forest service doesn't open the road in time to catch the flow. Everytime we checked we couldn't get access while there was water in the creek. Very frustrating.

The only reason we had such a great time on the piney is because Gordon "the Beaver" Banks spent tons of time cutting wood out for weeks before we ran it. My guess is that it is all clogged up again. When it's clean its got a lot of class V and V+, including "Beaver Attack" which is a non-stop class V+ cascade that is almost a mile long. I remember it well, because I got my paddle ripped out of my hands just as I entered the rapid. Needless to say I had an interesting run.

Gordon's the real expert on the run.

Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote