Old 06-20-2010   #21
San Antonio, Texas
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
But who won? I'm guessing Sutton is the mystery Kiwi but the unknown Texan has us all stumped.
Ben Kvanli paddling a classic Hero won. He's no kid, having been around the slalom scene for years. I spoke with him yesterday and he said he was running conservative lines for the heats and decided to let it all hang out for the finals. I guess it worked!

area80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010   #22
Austin/ Santa Fe, Texas/ New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1982
Ah yes, kinda figgered it had to be him, already talked to everybody else that coulda pulled it, he was the only one left.

Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010   #23
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
WTG Ben,

All of us Texans down here are proud of you!!
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #24
way to go Ben!!

tomcat (aka...Tommy Wingard)
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #25
I think it's hilarious that a Texan won Pine Creek Boatercross. It's like the US winning the World Cup. But, people shouldn't be too upset about losing to Ben. The guy is an excellent paddler who just made the US Whitewater Slalom Team. Way to represent and nice boat choice, Ben!
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #26
Park City/ Buena Vista, Utah/Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
He is from Guatamala...
rippnskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #27
Originally Posted by rippnskier View Post
He is from Guatamala...
That's funny...he doesn't look like an avocado.

Ben's about as American as any of us. I think he was simply born there....
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #28
The next zone, .
Another couple of notes to add..

This year there were not as many racers as there has been in the past couple of years. It has been said but two of the top 4 contenders for champ got hurt in the 48 hrs before the race and could not paddle. No doubt a entire different race happens if dave and jared can compete..

I look at this race a lot like a poker tourney - you have to play/paddle well and get a couple of bounces to win. In the finals Ben got a great bounce when he was pushed right of the hole as he attempted to make the left line when he was out front. Out of every paddler that got pushed right he was the only one the hole let through with out beatin them. Hey they say God likes texans right ... His run right was only one of 2 right runs of the day and both boaters were attempting to make the move left... Also props graham as he could have boofed on top of ben at the finish in order to maybe win but pulled back at the last second - and took 2nd.

From where I sat it looked like Kirk would repeat after the early heats as he seemed to be runnin the fastest/smoothest/cleanest linest... But he was not as lucky when he was out front and got pushed right. BK showed how good of a paddler he is when he took his ride. No doubt I would have swam twice in the length of time he rode the hole.

With that said Ben put himself in a great place to win with fast lines. When given the chance he took it and brought the belt home with him to Texas.. He straight up ran fast heats and won..

Needless to say another great Pine Creek race with what I like to see - a actual man to man comp and not a "race" against a clock but rather a race against other paddlers...

Maybe next year he can repeat but as we have seen this is not a easy task as no one has been able to be a re-peat champ yet!

Yea what a great race - it will be fun to see what 2011 has to offer!
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #29
Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I want to thank everyone who helped put this race on. It needs a lot of logistics to hold this event legally and safety boaters are a very important aspect. Thanks to anyone who came to watch or help.

Next year published time of event will be when the boater cross heats start to keep people interested in watching. That will get more people watching the entire event.

Maybe a quad to help with shuttles. More competitors and hopefully a larger purse. With some great help from volunteers we can make this a premiere event for spectators, athletes and sponsors.

Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #30
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
way to go buzzards

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote