Old 05-17-2012   #1
Piedra at low water?

I'm looking for some beta on the bottom canyon of the Piedra at low water (like this weekend). Is it worth driving down from Denver to do, taking into account there is no water elsewhere and our other choice is Numbers at 400? Can I / should I take my playboat (Jackson Super Star), given that I paddle Numbers and the Lawson section of Clear Creek (up to 550 anyway) in it?

Just trying to determine if it would be worth it. I realize it will be low. I learned to boat in the South East, so there are many stages of "low".

kduchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #2
The NWS is predicted the flow could be up to 800:

That's a moderate flow. You likely hit rocks in 1st Mud and Lucifers so choose your boat accordingly.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It's about seven fifty and climbing. A couple of weeks ago we paddled the first box at about seven hundred and had a great time. I've only been on the numbers in a tandem canoe so my comparison of the two runs is skewed. I've been told that the piedra is more difficult than the numbers. I would agree too. So, definately try to get on it. It's an awesome run and a beautiful place. Heard of people running as low as five hundred and you'll easily have that much.
You deserve a good paddling!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #4
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
IMO, the piedra is a solid 1/2 class more difficult than numbers at the same flow. 800 is the low side of good, but boatable and worth a trip. Eye of the needle is the only rapid I think would give any real problems for a solid playboater, but it is easily portaged if the hole is too big. That being said, don't think that running the numbers at 550 means you will style the P at 800. PM if yall make the trip; I might be in there this weekend. Peace.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #5
Thanks for the feedback. @cadster, that link is sweet. No idea a river level forecast existed.
kduchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We rafted it last sunday with 2 14' paddle rafts @ 660 or so. Got stuck a couple times, (meatgrinder and mudslide were bony), but still had a great time. In a kayak it would have been easier to pick the tighter lines with more water, but I know someone who has rafted it down to 550 without major problems. I would go for it, and if you think it is to low when you get here, there is always the animas.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #7
Julesberg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Im heading up there, never ran it either... playboat or creeker?
Ryde164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
creeker, its long and cold.

also, remember that the rapids are not is a deep gorge, so don't swim.
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by rg5hole
creeker, its long and cold.

also, remember that the rapids are not is a deep gorge, so don't swim.
One boater described his piedra experience like getting repeatedly slapped in the face with a frozen trout for hours on end.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just got back from an Upper Piedra trip, and wanted to ask you guys a question. Have the 2 bigger rapids in the upper stretch changed recently? CRC says the first one is a IV+ and the second is a tough S-turn with a big hole. WWSR says they are both III. My friend had the Intermediate Paddling guide book which said it was II-III with 2 easy III's.

In my opinion, and the opinion of both the other paddlers in my group the first one was a IV and the second a tough III+. I wonder if these have changed because I know a lot of intermediate paddlers that are fairly comfortable in Browns/Fractions, Foxton/Waterton that would have got throttled in there (I had a nice chundering in a large hole in the second rapid)...seemed like they were tougher than the drops on most class III runs.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote