Old 01-09-2005   #1
Photo of body surfing Kennebec River

hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #2
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
I apologize for bitchin', but I beg to differ. Body surfing, while pure and elegant in form, requires much skill whether it be in a river or the ocean. The picture you have linked to is in a fact a guy bodyboarding, or gut-sliding as it is known in ocean surfing communities. Nothing against the guy doing it, but gut-sliding is a few notches down from the elegance of body surfing. When ocean surfers hear the terms body surfing and bodyboarding used interchangeably, it's frustrating. It's kind of like when you pull in to a gas station after a really hard run with your kayak on the roof and some redneck touron (tourist + moron) says, "Hey, did'you just get back from one of 'dem canoeing trips?"

The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Kinda like the difference between kayaking and duckying, would you say?

Yeah, I was expecting to see a guy on his chest with just a pair of swim fins....

But its still a good shot of the guy. I saw a guy ripping it up at the BV wave last year on a body board and it looked like a kick.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote