Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2012   #1
Longview, Washington
Photo gallery problems/Snowolf

This situation this week is unbelievable!

Do you people reasly not get where the real problem is?

You have photo galleries and those galleries are sub sectioned by topic including member gallery. Any reasonable person would fully expect that they are free to upload anything they want to their personal gallery without pissing a few but very vocal minority.

You have a gallery dedicated to snow sports then you flamed wolf for uploading a few snowboarding pics. Again, don't play the "but it was a boring carving pic". Who cares? If a gallery is there you should expect people to post in it. If you don't like the photo don't look at at it but keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say.

Do you really not understand how weird it is to have your forum set up to display people's private photos on the home page?

Even more outrageous is to have nothing posted that tells new people how the system works and then flame them for doing something they would have no way of knowing was wrong. It's almost like entrapment and what is twisted is you have the Andy H guy as an admin who condones this sort of thing and does not fix the actual problem.

You can say wolf got butt hurt or angry or whatever. Bottom line here though is he only reacted to your actions. You guys were and are the instigators of these problems. Now I know some will say that a person has to have a thick skin and take their flaming. Why? Why does someone have to put up with any abuse to be on a forum and why is your juvenile flaming allowed at all?

I watched this whole thing unfold and you guys blind sided wolf. He had no idea that his upload would piss people off. No reasonable person would expect that. So instead of being a welcoming community that hw genuinely was excited about, you trashed the guy. Instead of flaming him, you could have in a friendly manner, advised him what the customs were with regard to posting pictures.

When he obviously became angry at what he felt was an attack, you could have defused the situation but again chose to ramp up the attacks to which he went for the juggler. You have to realize that at some point he made his decision to leave the forum so had nothing to loose by being as outrageous as possible.

You guys don't even seem to recognize that you got used like tools after he had decided to say "eff it". You still think all of his outrageous comments which by the way were funny as all hell, were designed specifically to generate the reactions you all had.

To everyone on the outside looking in, you guys look foolish. You can clearly see the picture posting problem yet refuse to actually fix it. Instead you go through this shit show every time. You to look within to fix the problem and stop blaming others. It's simple really. Create another picture gallery for front page photos and only link your front page to that and make sure that pictures from other galleries don't link to the front page. Post the rules for uploading to that gallery very clearly. Leave people alone when they post to the other galleries and have a mod and admin team that does not promote flaming people for minor newbie mistakes.

Now go ahead and ban me too and call it "trolling" it seems standing up to the politburo here gets you banned. I last love how people can join up and upload a rafting or other pic to their personal gallery and get banned for trolling. You guys are becoming the laughing stock of the internet this week!

Peace out from the PNW!

Old 05-01-2012   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I missed out on much of the shit show, but I tend to agree with a number of your points.

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 05-01-2012   #3
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Actually it's pretty simple. We have a community that to some degree self moderates. Whitewater is about taking some lumps and learning respect. I feel like the community here reflects that mentality. Some people like that others don't, feel free to leave if you don't. Snowolf got bitch slapped and rather than adapting to the community standards or leaving or just dealing with it as so many others have, he acted like a child and threw a temper tantrum and antagonized the situation. His trolling was weak and unoriginal. His attempts to rally his own constituency on a board where he carried some clout was pretty pathetic, and rather telling. His supporters have continued the low class weak sauce trolling.
Old 05-01-2012   #4
Paddling Since: 2002
awww... did someone get their feelings hurt by some of the veteran buzzards? wont be the first or last time that happens.

some might say you need to have thick skin here on the buzz...... but its only the internet... get over it

Hurt Feelings Report >>>>>> Hurt feelings report
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
Old 05-01-2012   #5
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Scubby29, aka Snowolf,
Since you just joined the forum today there is only one way you would know in such detail about the Snowolf thread. I am glad to see that you have cleaned up you language (kind of) and approach (kind of). Better luck this time.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
Old 05-01-2012   #6
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I really dont see what the big deal is anyhow? Havlfthe threads here are serious and informative. The other half, well.... I have been even known to start both types. But i dont get butt hurt when i get flamed. Some of you go out of the way to flame the newbies like you've earned some sort of gramdmaster cleric level from the dungeonmaster. (is it obvious i was masturbating when i should have been playing d&d?)

I cant think of anything more asinine than engaging in an argument over pictures posted to the gallery ... Who sits around jerking off to these pictures anyhow? Go f'in prep your boat instead!!!
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Old 05-01-2012   #7
Paddling Since: 96
Another person from Wolfie's neighborhood, with 2 or 3 posts, generalizing about a community of hundreds (thousands?) of people. You/your boy got slammed the way many people do here and most certainly elsewhere on the net. He/you could have taken a step back and figured out what was going on. He/you could have asked for guidance or what the ground rules are. He/you could have demonstrated an iota of humility or even a little class. He/you could have responded favorably to those of us that attempted to break through the barrage of rage that he/you brought. Instead he/you acted like a child lashing out at everyone on this board as though we were all one monolithic enemy to be defeated.

Now he/you have people posting in his/your stead, or perhaps they/you are him. A couple hours ago one of his boyze, or him, or you, slandered a women on this board in terms so over the top that if he/you had an ounce of self respect, class or honor he/you would disassociate him/yourself from that bullshit and apologize to her and the rest of us for having his/your name associated with such a vile attack.

I personally had nothing to do with any of it initially. I checked in on a busy thread and there was this maniac reading through a years old thread about the very issue of how to manage pictures in which I had posted a humorous suggestion about removing pics that had bumped a notorious pic of a babe on a raft. His choice was to call me a Nazi and wonder if I participated in loading Jews in ovens. I had not engaged this guy at all. My post had zero to do with him or his issues. That kind of attack is truly obnoxious and so uncreative that it gets no points at all, unless you're still operating as an adolescent with a playground mentality.

This isn't about photo gallery problems, this is about someone with severe anger issues. This is about someone with an adolescent reaction to a couple people and generalizing to a whole community. This was about rage and deep mean spiritedness. This is about dudes, yourself included, who think annoying other people is something to take pride in or find humorous. The response was so disproportionate that I would suggest that he/you take a look at yourself, if you have that capacity.

The bottom line is that this is a community that shares a passion for the outdoors and especially rivers. Sharp elbows and quick wits can fill out the conversation but if you can't share the passion without tearing others down than you are missing the point of community, and most especially, the river.

Oh, and if you want any credibility at this point you'll identify yourself.

Phil Urban

Closed Thread