Old 06-03-2008   #21
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
personally i am in favor of education in this matter, and not legislation.

as far as "on or on board" laws. i think that is bullshit. what good is a PFD going to do as you and your raft are flipping. all that PFD is going to do is wash out of the boat and turn into litter. if you were smart enough to attach it somehow then there is a slim chance you're going to be able to get that thing on in time for it to be useful.

i have no problem taking the thing off on a mellow stretch and tossing it in the bottom of the raft, but there shouldn't be a law mandating it be in the boat. just a waste of resources trying to enforce such a thing.

if there is going to be a law, it should have to be on at all times. otherwise no law at all.

oh, and I'd assume we are talking about non closed deck boats here. as far as kayaks go, law or not, if you are dumb enough to hit the water in a kayak with no PFD you deserve what's coming.

nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #22

"I worked with the Pueblo city council to enact city laws to require pfd's in the whitewater park."

Not only do I police my community, I also have been given the authority to police my favorite website. I love enforcing my beliefs onto other people, in fact it's my passion.

Amazing yet not surprising!

hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #23
Hey Lotsatoolbag, what's your problem? Or is it just that belittling people online is the self-gratification you need to feel good about yourself?
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #24
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
if you can't figure out when it's appropriate to wear a pfd, then you probably belong in a hospital somewhere anyway.
vailtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #25
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I watched a friend pull a dog and a hippie out of the Poudre this weekend because they couldn't cross the fence back into an eddy. The guy had no idea that he would need a PFD because he was trying to swim in a calm looking swimming hole. Maybe there should be more signs recommending this.

My friend did save the dog first.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Your choice my dollar

If it costs me money for you to choose not to wear a life jacket and die then yes, there should be a law. If it costs me nothing for you to die because you have a god given right to choose to be foolish then no law.

Remember that we are not the only ones paying for our own choices...
If you thought that was bad, did I mention the river was on fire !
r_baronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #27
pnw, Washington
Lotsawhining, seriously get help, get help now. You whine and whine. Does it ever end? Get some therapy. Get laid. Hell do something. Your whining trolls mean nothing to me and your pathetic cries for help are just sad.
As for my post about pfds. Even if I did the wrong thing, at least I did something. It must be fun firing from the cheap seats where you do nothing but bash other peoples efforts and then only look out for yourself.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #28
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Laws for redneckshttp

Maybe there needs to be a quasy law, no penalties until 3 strikes kind of thing, that stipulates a pfd for high water times. The high water point could be set by local authorities with help from local boater groups. This would be more in the education vein, but with some enforcement capabilities. Essentially we need to keep Joe Blow from jumping into the Ark or Poudre at high flows, in a rubber tube, with no pfd. If flow was low, no one would bother you. But when flows were high, a few well placed signs would help keep the masses safer. After all, we know that tubing is proof of natural selection!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #29
pnw, Washington
I think the education concept is the right way to go but how do you make that happen? Its not like tubers who just want to cool off or the kmart raft types read this website. I always think back to something the gov said after Columbine. People were screaming for more gun laws and he said these kids already broke about 10 laws what would creating more laws help? I thought it was a very intelligent thing to say and it made perfect sense. In Pueblo's case I think just putting up the signs had more impact than anything else.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #30
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The best thing I can think of is to do something analogous to the seat belt crash demonstration thing, where they strap you into to a cart on a ramp, and it slides down at like 5 or 10 mph into a bump stop--pretty effective demo to get people to wear seatbelts

--may some type of swiftwater resue demo at golden or bolder or the poudre...I realize it would be tough to pull off, requiring lots of volunteer time, and it wouldn't reach nearly enough people, but if there was a demo every spring at the popular recreational river locations, it just might help

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote