Old 07-28-2011   #21
us, Alaska
I hadn't thought much on it but that's an important question.

jannypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #22
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
The hole bait thing is interesting. Anyone have firsthand experience being hole bait bacause of a high floatation pfd?
Not being but seeing. It was horrible too. On the Tieton the rapid was Waffle Wall maybe. Been a while. Swimmers kept coming down and getting stuck in this fairly small but sharp hole. The 2nd one knocked the first one out until lucky #5 came down. She was small - tough to judge weight in this situation but I don't think she could have been more than 125. Large 4 buckle Americas Cup jacket. Looked the same as the universal ones that were popular at the river company I worked at.

She was in there long enough that I had time to jog back to my car to get the second throw bag ( I only had one on me) as she was about 70 feet from me and I couldn't get to her. So I jogged the couple hundred yards to my car and back to try to double up the ropes to reach. I did this for about 15 minutes before she flushed out.

Sign language from the other side indicated she was alive. She didn't look it, but I heard the next day she was all right. She spent close to 20 minutes surfing this very innocent looking feature. I really thought I was watching someone die. I don't think she was in a condition to remove her LJ but I think she would have flushed immediately if she had.

That's all I have.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #23
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks again for this thread. I remembered to test my PFD last Friday, and thankfully, the waterline is below my chin. Got this PFD used a year ago. Probably has at least 3 seasons under it. (Stohlquist Wedge-E, I think)

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote