Old 08-01-2008   #1
Leadvillian, Colorado
Peru Beta Needed

My girl and I are headed to Peru. We hit the ground in Arequipa on the last day of September with our Mini-Me in tow. Probably go ahead and run the Chili for a warm-up and then would like to run sections of the Colca, Cotahuasi, and Apurimac before ending up in Cuzco. Considering self-supporting but would like any advice about local outfitters as well. A Kayak Guide to Whitewater of Peru ! has been an excellent source of info. but was hoping for some buzzers to weigh in...

BTW - Anyone want to house sit a big friendly Rottweiller and a sketchy but sweet mut for a month in Costa Rica?

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #2
dropzone, Colorado
talk to Piero, Diego and Santiago at terraexplorer. these guys are super fun to hang out with and run a seamless operation. I went down the Apurimac with them in September 07 and it was awesome. they do longer trips to colca, etc. too.

Rafting Peru ::.: Terra Explorer Peru, Kayak Peru, White Water Peru, Rafting Colca, Alternative Inca Trail

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
peru info

I would suggest getting a hold of Gian Marco Vaullentino who runs Cusipati, a rafting company in Arequipa. We did trips with a little of his help down the colca and cotahuasi, which are both totally awesome I would reccomend them both. im not sure how confident you are in your mini me skillz but the commercial sections on both rivers are somewhat challenging, mostly class IV/IV+ with a few class Vs and I think that the colca was the only one with portages, they kind of suck. i can give better beta if you want. the access is quite easy, both put in towns can be reached by bus but then require full day hikes to get to the river.

THe apurimac is a must do, can also link up with the less run upper black canyon section but it doesnt have too much whitewater and lots of sand fleas. The commercial section is a blast and wow, really pretty.

Ask gian marco about the area around macchu picchu where he has bought property,there is abundant day trips out of there.

In Cuzco his brother Piero is the contact at terrexploradora or whatever. Both great guys, can help with logistics and equipment as well. pm me if you want more info, i was there for two and a half months last year and it is the shiT!
bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #4
check out it has all the info on anything you would want to run. The Vaullentino brothers are also a great resource. great place to paddle. have fun
Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote