Old 04-25-2006   #1
Permits on Shoshone??

Does anyone know if permits are ever required to take rafts down the Shoshone stretch? I didn't think so, but have heard some conflicting info. Thanks!

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Never heard anything of the sort. And I've paddled a couple rafts down there over the years.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #3
Permits are not required at this time on Shoshone. There has been some talk over the past few years to make this a permitted stretch of river. I am not sure if it will happen. It is a little like what is happening on the Brown's Canyon section of the Ark. Cheers, Clancy.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #4
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Can someone elaborate why it would even be considered to make this a permitted section. It would seem that it is usually a wilderness/wildlife preservation issue, but given the Interstate and its relative location I wouldn't have thought it to be considered.

What's the deal with Browns?
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #5
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This is my guess:

Permits = $$
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
My two cents. We run Sho' quite often when family are in town, it can be a huge cluster on the weekends with commercials, private rafts, 'yakers, tubers, etc. Actually have seen fights, had an elderly family member trampled by a commercial group, and had gear damaged by others. The "Rangers" that keep an eye on things are very cool, but are absolutely overwhelmed at times. Only a matter of time before something bad happens and ruins it for a lot of us. Sad but a reality
robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Rob hit the nail on the head. The place is like a war zone when its really busy.

A few years ago, the USFS floated the idea of a permit system because the demand is so high and the put-in is so limited. There's no way they can expand the parking and launch facilty down there between the cliffs, the river, the highway, and the power plant. Private rafters are especially difficult group for the space because a lot of us rafters have to inflate our boats, rig, & run shuttle while taking up precious boatramp space all the while. I'm not sure how it got resolved but a permit system's been put on the shelf for now.

A few things we all can to do prevent ramp rage in the short-term and a permit system in the long term are to arrive ready to get your boat to the water in an efficient manner and store boats and gear out of the traffic flow areas while you run shuttle. Get ready to go with the flow and work with the rangers. Of course, launching at off-peak times is a great help too.

It also helps to give the managing agency, the USFS Eagle Ranger District, a call in the morning at 970-328-6388 if you've got a group launching. They can tell you times to avoid because the outfitters schedule big group launches with the rangers.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #8
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Welcome to Shoshone, the world's shortest permitted run!

If I had to pay to run Shoshone, I'd certainly want to run it two or three times, as opposed to one or two, occasionally three.

More runs per person=more congestion, more shuttle runs, the same people getting frustrated by parking more times per day.

Even if there were fewer bodies, there would not necessarily be a significant decrease in traffic.

"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote