Old 06-21-2011   #1
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
Permit required on the Sevier

I have heard from two different sources that only professional companies with permits are allowed to run the Sevier near Big Rock Candy Mountain. Is that really true? Can they do that?

Is this a temporary thing due to the high water? Or is this rule always in place?

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #2
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Never heard that. Ran it last year with no problems and they just put in a better access point right near the resort at the bridge. The confusion might be from the use of the old put in way above the flat water which I believe was privately owned.

Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
One of the sources called the local sheriff, and they said it was closed to private boaters. I can understand their concern about safety, but can they ticket a private boater?
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #4
cedar city, Utah
The closure seems unlikely. Would be best to talk to someone higher up in the state than a local sheriff. It might be an issue of property access with the newer state laws though.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #5
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Probably some people trying to protect us from ourselves. If this persists, then I along with many, have a big problem.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #6
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990

Just ran the Sevier again last night and there are no signs regarding permits or anything. Last time it flooded they closed it down and started to do the same this time. I have a friend on the county commission who has done some guiding so I emailed him and he wondered why they'd done that. It really only leads to more liability when they take their signs down, which is the same a declaring the river safe now. Anyway, he took it to the commission and I read in the paper that they were going to require a professional certificate, but haven't seen anything as far as signs yet. Run it at least 2 or more times a week. Maybe they just haven't seen me on it yet, but have had no problems. There are two hazards you should be aware of if you run it at 1200 or higher which it is now. At mile post 188 you'd better scout from the highway a way past the trees as all the current runs into the trees now and it's too narrow for a raft to get through. The commercial co. take the left run on the island that is just above this area and miss it all together. At lower flows that channel will disappear so you may have to drag your boat over a rock bar to the left of the trees. I put some photos on facebook of this area. Also, you'll have to roll to get under the highway bridge at mile 189 or so. Rafts have to portage here until the river drops.

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote