Old 04-06-2009   #21
Those guys in Hobie's vid must have taken Wigston's swift water rescue course. I hope they can set safety for me someday, especially the guy repelling down the wall, he's useful.

Seriously Dude!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #22
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Send a message via AIM to darkbluewrangler
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
Tyler Bradt still has the record in most people's opinion. Tyler completely stomped that 107 ft falls. I have seen a lot of people land on their head and I have seen a lot of people wash behind falls. I really can't think of a time I have seen someone land on their head AND wash behind a falls and not swim. And those observations are from 40-80 feet, not 127ft. It just does'nt make sense. There is still a chance Pedro did not swim and I am not saying he swam. I am saying there is no proof that he DID'NT swim though. Because of this Tyler still has the record.
I feel like the "Most People" you are referring need to put themselves in Pedro's Shoes. I'm not going to argue whether he swam or not. However if it were you.. and you just psyched yourself up to huck a 127 footer, would you get to the bottom (ALIVE!) and then say wait a second... I think we should let Tyler keep his record, his looked a lot prettier. He Stomped that

The guy just risked his life by paddling off something 99% of the people on this forum do not have the balls to do. Now people are going to disrespect his accomplishment because another kayaker hit his line. I'm sure you have all gone off line, yet still checked the box for completing that run in the front of the guidebook. Maybe we should take back all the first descents where people went off line... because they don't really count until someone styles it.

The Record is for running 127 feet vs 107 feet. Not for how pretty it looked. If Pedro swam thats one thing... but if he just landed on his head... Give the man his respect, and his world record.

darkbluewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #23
Dreamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
In order for any of this to count you need to run it like you are running a river. I think you need to be able to navigate the rapid/falls in your boat and continue downstream. What im getting at is if you resurface behind the curtain you technically did not run it. You need to come out the front and be able to continue your path down the river. Pedro stepped up big and definitely pushed the sport even further but im confident someone out there can clean that beast.

danimal is offline   Reply With Quote