Old 01-26-2013   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't think dams are "green" and I see no reason to support dam projects like that whatsoever. I believe we've learned how devastating they are, and how corporate development actually hurts the locals more often than helps, and so I wanted to make a point of no tolerance. It's a worldwide problem now that we cannot separate ourselves from others, and really the only solution is to allow energy to become prohibitively expensive. More dams in some of the most beautiful places is just wrong. If only glen canyon hadn't been dammed..... That's my 2 cents, I probably won't even look at this thread again and I tend to not talk about this stuff on the river too. Ah, usually it is not even worth it on the buzz, so hard to completely and accurately convey an opinion. But damn the dams! 99.9999% of people in the us are energy (heroin) addicts. It's not me or you it's everyone, it's our society and culture. We aren't going to choose to lower our standards and I didn't advocate that we should personally be responsible for doing so,it will/is happening too us and not of our control. Wouldn't it be great if we could all give up what we know and love to do the right thing? It's not going to happen and light bulbs aren't going to save us either.

Let's hope for sun next weekend and hopefully We get a fun run down beartrap!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #22
Pray for sun...

If y'all make the trip, I'm in and will help on shuttle. PM or post on your thread when you make the call.

stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #23
Mad Scientist/Creeker

We just crossed the 50% funding mark with 19 days left to meet our goal. Thank you to all the Buzzards who've kicked in!

We've also got tons of great support from some fine companies in the industry and local to Fort Collins. This means that you can get cool stuff from them just for supporting us! Shred Ready has some helmets on there, Flylow has some beanies, Charly Bars, Odell beer, Akinz shades, Mugs Coffee gift cards + all the stuff we're offering from copies of Whitewater of the Southern Rockies, to limited edition t-shirts, to beautiful canvas prints. You give and then you get! Win Win!

Somos del Rio - A documentary film | Community Funded

Thanks also for the discussion on hydro-development - this is exactly the kind of discussions the film is meant to encourage. I don't think there are any easy answers but bottom line I love free flowing rivers. I do believe there are responsible ways to do hydro-development and any alternatives are going to have trade-offs as well. I look forward to engaging further is these discussions, especially once I'm armed with first hand information and a better understanding that hopefully I can share with the community. Thanks!
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
On the -Where is Baer ? -thread I noticed a button to click for 'Another River Murdered ' where he has some anti dam stickers he 's distributing, some commentary, and a cartoon that explains 'small hydro power 'pretty succinctly.You should check it out please or search 'Small hydro power. By Tom 11 '.

That is definitely not the kind of small hydro I meant as responsible, and is what they did to the Macal ( at least the original dam) .The kind of flow through dam I was taliking about would be a larger scale version of something locals did during the Balkan war.Power generation was disrupted indefinitely, so they made little generators out of old Yugo motors, a small paddlewheel. attached some how to an alternator or genaerator,was turned by river currents to produce electrical current for use in homes or villages adjacent to the river, no dams -pipes -transmission lines -or service roads.Do something bigger along those lines with mitigation of whatever environmental harm they do.

The cartoon comes to a good point :make existant dams more efficient, rather than new ones, since the damage is already done, get more value for the tradeout.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

That is pretty bold, suggesting that we simply lower our inflated standards of living consumption wise.True and obvious you would think., but I can tell you from experience,highly unpopular in this culture of consumption for consumption 's sake.We have put all our eggs in one basket and need increased consumption to get the economy back on track unless we let it collapse and start over.Thanks rich guys.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #26
Austin, Tejas
Paddling Since: 2005

I just returned from 2 weeks in the Futa Valley paddling it and it's tributaries, a place that has truly changed my entire perspective on all thinks wild. I hope this place is never lost and for that I will be donating to your project. Keep up the good work.
Paddle_like_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #27
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Marty you da man!

The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote