Mountain Buzz banner

Passingers in my Boat.

9K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  luke c 
#1 ·
What would you think if I told you that I didn't want anybody but me and my wife riding in my boat on a 16 day and 16 person Grand Canyon trip? This is what some one told me.

#30 ·
Gee there is nothing like getting invited on a trip just because of space in your boat.

I put together one or two major trips a year (not in GC which is a whole nother level of commitment.) and I don't even assume that the guys coming without a passenger will automatically take one. I prefer to have at least one passenger in each raft for safety, but I ask the boatman before I "assign" someone to them.

If this is someone who is a competent boater, someone that you want to be part of your trip figure it out. If I was invited, planned to go, was taking my wife ( who would not want to ride with just me the whole time to be certain) and then told that the only way I could go would be to take someone else, I would probably not go.

If you "asked" me I would think about it.

#32 ·
One solution would be to rent an 18 footer with a stern frame. Set it up with plenty of day cooler room and the TL gets on the oars back there with his six subjects set up to paddle for him. Their dry bags and all group gear would gladly be absorbed among the other vessels.

The former guides on the trip could even counsel him on handholding techniques and dealing with peoples' BS.

#34 ·
I am going to take a Large Ponderosa down the river with a set of Aspens for oars. I just relized he does not evan need to take a passenger because I can take a few on my new Ponderosa / Aspen rig. Thanks for getting me lined up on the passenger thing. I am not the trip leader and I have no Boat other then the ponderosa with aspens for oars.

#36 ·
So I am very lost on your point luke c. Are you venting because this guy that was asked to go on a gc trip that has his own boat just wants to spend the river miles with his wife? Is it your spot on the trip that is in limbo because nobody has room or wants to make room for you? I would listen to what people have said and rent your self a boat. If you cant row some of the rapids I am sure someone would love to row them for you. But really I have missed your point and are coming off to me as someone I would not want to be on the same trip with.

#37 ·
Look she's not my f**kin lady friend, man, I mean like, you know?

Its simple. Its a two week long trip. If you own a boat you are the captain of it and you are entitled to let whoever you want on it or nobody on it if that's how you want to row it.

If you can't live with it, its your fault for selecting someone with this attitude if you can't live with it or don't think its conductive to a group trip. You are not past the put in at this point so go with what your gut tells you.

There are people I let spend an afternoon on my boat and they drove my freakin batty You are always going to have sources of friction on a multiday type trip. Pick your battles. Live and learn.

If you are trying to save on expense by having a bunch of extra load (IE non boat owners) split across many boats do yourself a favor and rent an extra boat or a boat with a stern frame and set up for paddling.

If he only wants to carry his own gear and his own passenger and nothing more, then why did you invite him onto a group trip? I'm assuming he's cool with sharing the load of the weight for the group in his gear space, even if he's not required to take an extra passenger.

If not boot him off the trip and fricking be done with it before the page counter gets to 5 ...

#39 ·
luke c - you make me so confussed. trying to follow your post(s) is like trying to solve a rubiks cube in the dark.

You say you have a raft for you and your family, but you are looking for a spot for someone apparently.

you invited the guy who wants to be with his wife. Been down many times so.....

I want to know who is the passenger? Are you trying to put your wife on his boat? So you can kayak?

Everyone has experience right?

Then who is such a bowsprit that they don't want to run their own rig?

Who is on third?

I still can't follow this....

#45 ·
This is some FUNNY s#!t......... keep it up. The poor guy is now making no sense at all. I still want to know how he plans to get his "family" down the river...... he really needs some remedial spelling/typing lessons before he posts again, too.

My wife and I got invited on a 3/31/12 GC trip that solves all of these problems:
16 people, all couples, 8 rafts, NO kayakers (and, yes, I'm a kayaker, but I still see the beauty of this trip). Perfection.......

#53 ·
staying off topic...

Mr. Alligator may beg to differ with you about your place in the food chain...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.