Old 11-30-2009   #41
Originally Posted by cpollema View Post
Rich, sounds like you are in my situation. Great to hear your advice about the 12'. Do you have any pictures of your 12' cat rigged for a passenger behind? I've been trying to work out the details and it seems like a 4 bay design with everything rigged low for stability will be able to do most of what I want to do...Been getting lots of ideas. Thanks, Cy

No pictures. I have a very standard small "Cat" with my feet all the way forward and a small cargo bay behind me (5'-8" long x 5'-6" wide). For a passenger I add a 20"x 5'-6" cargo frame with a DRE hinged seat. The passenger sits behind me with her feet on my seat bar beside me. Great for an adult but I would not want a small child where I can not see her.
A drybox can fix under the passenger seat or I can run with just the drybox and no seat for a Middle Fork. 90% of the time I run the 12' solo. But I can add a passenger.

I move the rowing module forward to keep the weight centered.

Started out with my daughter sitting in front of me on a cooler, but the front of a cat is not a great location.

Hope to see you on the Poudre!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #42
Orting, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a 12.5 Sotar Legend, and have all NRS frame parts to completely customize what I want. When I want to take someone down the river I lengthen my sidebars, and put a cross bar with seat behind me. The problem is I can't take someone who weighs a lot more than I do. If I do, my boat is doing a semi-wheelie in the water!

Putting a passenger on a 12ft cat CAN be done.

jrigged is offline   Reply With Quote

cataraft, cataraft passengers