Old 11-03-2007   #1
in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
Part 2. Mexico

Here is the long past due update. Part Dos. The Rio Arteaga and the Rio La Laja. Enjoy buzz!!

The impossible is merely the undone. -CS
codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Nice,seems like you are the new Todd G.,OUT THERE REALLY GETTING IT DONE,congrats.I explore a little down south real and armchair,i have an interest in some rivers near Aguillilla.En route you must have crossed over the Tepalcatepec the next drainage north of the Aguililla ,did you guys scout this or Rocky in the past?Also the Cupatizio around URUAPAN ,looks interesting there is a big falls Tzaracua and a smaller Tzaracuacito{son of Tzaracua} plus some interesting looking drops in Parque Eduardo Ruiz,although it's hard to get a sense of scale from pictures,another creek TANCITARO drains the peak of same name,the highest in the area but looks like a pretty small basin,it would be sweet it a trip to PARICUTIN could be combined with creekin'.Did you guys check out any of these?
Keep finding these, creeks near beach resorts like I/ Z,it makes it possible to do a short foreign trip; cheap flights ,surf and turf boating if you can get a boat down there

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #3
in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey there....

I completely agree with you about your last statement....."keep finding these near beach resorts, like ixtapa / zih" >> The rivers in that surrounding area, definitely really make for some freakin' incredible paddling. All three of those rivers (aguililla, laja, arteaga) are total classics. And the Aguililla is one of the best expeditions i have been on....they've got it class beaches, resorts, remote canyons, mota fields, guns, falls, slides, class v boulder choke, and amazing camping. Out of the 3 first d's that we did, i would say that the La Laja would become a commonly run river for those in the area ((easy logistical, roadside run))

As for those rivers you named, a tad bit north...well Rocky had already been into them and the reports were....that they were good. The Minititlan or as i call it " The Mini-Tit-Land" has some big falls on it's route down to the Maribasco. All near Coloma. We had very limited time (10 days) and crammed as much in as for 1 day of driving, we where out in the jungle for the rest of the time. So with that limited time, we only got on the ones that had never been explored.

So, it sounds like you know the area pretty well down there...we have some big plans coming up for '08...drop me a line at and we could possibly set some dates for further exploration down there.

The impossible is merely the undone. -CS
codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote